What to do for employee leaving organisation?

(7 Posts)
BlueberryPancake21 Fri 12-Feb-21 16:56:28

Hi just wanted to gauge opinion. One of my team members has resigned and is going to be leaving soon but the whole team has been working from home since last March. In normal times there'd be a card and a collection and the cringey presentation at desks but that's not possible at the moment. Would you do anything at all? eCard, collect messages from people in the team, send a gift to their house or just say "thanks and good luck" in person? This person has been in the organisation maybe 4-5 years and not in my team about a year if that's relevant!

OP’s posts: |
superram Fri 12-Feb-21 16:58:32

I left a job in lockdown one and we had drinks at 4pm where everyone was invited and my lm said a few words-most people left the call then my immediate team stayed on fir a quiz about where I’m from-it was lovely!

titchy Fri 12-Feb-21 17:01:02

There's an online card website that lets people 'sign' their own message. Can't remember what it's called sorry... We've asked people what they want in the way of a leaving collection/event. Most have opted for a charity donation and sent a just giving link in lieu of the brown envelope. Then a zoom/teams farewell with line manager and maybe others saying the usual and the recipient saying the usual. Everyone else muted till after that. Which can be quite stilted tbh but if you keep them short they're not too painful and the occasion can be marked.

TomHardyAndMe Fri 12-Feb-21 17:05:03

Member of my team left last month. We had a collection via PayPal. Got a colleague who lived closest to wrap and deliver the many Amazon purchases and wrote messages sent over for the card.

Had a get together over teams to say goodbye.

All things that you don’t seem to think possible. confused

BlueberryPancake21 Fri 12-Feb-21 17:40:44

Thanks - that all sounds really good. I'll do a zoom call - no idea why that didn't occur to me tbh! Friday brain...

Can't deliver a gift in person as one of the reasons they're leaving is for a house move so they will be too far away but I can definitely send in the post.

OP’s posts: |
Levithecat Sat 13-Feb-21 10:03:45

We use ‘group greeting’ for group e-cards and use PayPal for collections. The last presents I’ve been in charge of have largely been foodie - Belazu, M&S hampers etc

IrenetheQuaint Sat 13-Feb-21 10:07:21

We use Kudoboard for messages (it has a gif feature which people enjoy), do a collection for a small present and then a farewell ceremony on Teams. Works fine though I miss leaving drinks!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in