What is the worst well paid job you ever had?

(9 Posts)
Lockdowner35 Sun 10-Jan-21 18:05:40

I would say an administrator , nice pay but boring

OP’s posts: |
schmockdown Sun 10-Jan-21 18:07:39

I was a Marlboro girl. Got paid a fortune to get letched over.

We had to get people to swap their packet of fags for a pack of Marlboro.

Not in the U.K. and some time ago!

tatutata Sun 10-Jan-21 18:07:48

I was paid £850 a day to lie to a client about the product they were buying from my client. I knew they had not finished the product, nor did they have any hope of finishing it by the deadline, but I was basically the spokesperson who had to constantly find ways of redirecting questions and holding endless workshops showcasing the rather simple stuff they could do. I resigned, obvs.

Bixs Sun 10-Jan-21 18:10:09

Working in a book makers.

The abuse when people’s bets lost was bad enough, but we were twice held up by armed robbers.

Yogaposer Sun 10-Jan-21 18:12:13

Insurance/Corporate... working in complaints. absolutely shit job, toxic culture stressful, and some of the people I worked with there just awful. Miss-selling was common and the company encouraged this (targeting older people deliberately). I left as my conscience couldn't deal with it, I was so glad when they were fined for their shitty ways.

MrsPworkingmummy Sun 10-Jan-21 18:12:28

Head of English in one of the first academy schools. I was 26 earning about £52, 000 and I HATED every minute. Worked long hours and was expected to devote my life to the school at the expense of my family. Management bullied and destroyed a number of very talented teachers. I couldn't bare being a messenger in-between. It was the first time I'd realised teaching wasn't a secure job. Staff were managed out under the guise of failing 'support' plans. Staff morale and confidence were destroyed. Many left teaching for good. One member of staff had a visible nervous breakdown in the building and we were on lockdown because of it. I quit after 18 months. The career progression and money were not worth it. An absolutely hideous place which has shaped my whole attitude to the teaching profession and the way I behave as a leader now.

darksideofthemooncup Sun 10-Jan-21 18:17:10

A PA to a director in a luxury car dealership. I was either letched over or treated like shit by very wealthy (mainly) men.

Fortyfiver Sun 10-Jan-21 18:21:10

I worked on the trading floor of one of the big banks in the 1990's. I was only a desk assistant but was paid handsomely (about £25k a year plus bonus of £10k + iirc which was very good at the time for someone straight out of school) but bloody hell - it was all the cliches you could imagine and then some.

I soon decided that I would go to university and get a "proper" job 😂 so I became a solicitor and barely earn more than that salary now....I do wonder what my life would have been like if I had stuck it out.

hillarypcof Mon 11-Jan-21 22:19:02

Working as a high-ranking Police Civilian. The most toxic environment you could ever imagine.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in