Civil Service Progression SEO to G7

(12 Posts)
Halfeti Sat 02-Jan-21 20:53:30

Hello, I am starting a new role in the Civil Service soon and looking for thoughts about progressing and promotion. It's a complete career change for me, having spent many years as a middle leader and teacher in a large school. I will be entering at SEO grade in a policy role. I am keen to learn new skills, network, focus on my development and learn CS procedures. I took a pay cut to enter the CS which I am happy to do but I would like to secure a promotion in the future. Am I correct in thinking SEO to G7 is a big hurdle? Does anyone have experience of how long it took to progress from SEO to G7? Any tips and advice for progressing in the CS?
Thanks

OP’s posts: |
StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Jan-21 20:56:11

To me seo is lead on an area of work. G7 is leading an operational team. It's a reasonably large jump, but then aren't they all?

StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Jan-21 20:58:23

Good luck in the new role!

ArnoldBee Sat 02-Jan-21 20:58:54

Some folks take years to progress others manage it in a matter of months. Talk to your line manager and get writing those applications.

Bells3032 Sat 02-Jan-21 21:05:38

Policy g7 isn't really the leader of an operational team but you take on your own area of policy and expected to take the lead and work off your own back.

There's also a big financial jump...depending on the department its around 15k.

Took me about 3 years from seo to g7. I know people who gave taken 20 years and others who have don't it in a year.

StealthPolarBear Sat 02-Jan-21 21:14:49

It is where I am!

Margaritatime Sat 02-Jan-21 22:08:32

Is your role in London or the regions as progression opportunities are very different.

Halfeti Sat 02-Jan-21 22:12:35

I am based outside of London.

OP’s posts: |
RaingodsWithZippos Sat 02-Jan-21 22:13:46

I was an SEO for three years before being my G7. I did a years placement on TDA first to get good experience whilst having a safety net of being able to go back to my substantive part if I hated it. When I got the permanent promotion it was a huge step up - I work in operational delivery and manage a team of 30 people, have to take responsibility for recruitment, join working groups with policy leads and deputise for senior management in situations that often mean I feel insecure. I started at HEO so have been around in the CS for quite a while.

Margaritatime Sat 02-Jan-21 22:20:44

That does make a difference as in my experience there are more promotion opportunities in London. However, this varies from department to department.

Once you have started your job you will be able to register on the CS Jobs portal so you get regular updates on vacancies. Use this to get an idea of the requirements for the next grade and to start building examples for future applications.

Katemonique Fri 08-Jan-21 19:51:24

Hi all, I am applying for civil service jobs but I am struggling to write my personal statement. I have googled but I could not find any good example. Has someone got one that could be shared please? Many thanks

Dinosauraddict Sat 09-Jan-21 22:03:44

I was an SEO for less than 18 months before I took G7. I think it depends on your skills and department. Also how quickly you pick up CS protocol. External people at SEO either progress very quickly as they've had to come in lower but really should've been higher and that's recognised, or they stagnate immediately as they don't understand the ways of working. It also depends how good your LM is (and the strength of the relationship you build with them).

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in