Maternity Cover Y/N ?

(8 Posts)
SarahSumner Sun 22-Nov-20 21:15:03

Hello, I have been offered a 1 year+ maternity cover fixed term contract with a new employer but we are trying to have a baby soon. If I accept this role, I will probably go on maternity leave 3-4 months before the end of contract. The employer will probably be miffed and will have to find someone to cover for just a few months. Should I accept this role knowing that I will not be able to fulfil the contract hmm, or take the moral high ground and risk being unemployed until I find another permanent job hmm (bear in mind it will be impossible to get any job once I am pregnant... or i can delay family planning)? Appreciate any advice and help!

OP’s posts: |
edin16 Sun 22-Nov-20 21:34:05

That's assuming you get pregnant right away. Realistically it could take you a couple of months, so you might not be on mat leave till 10 or 11 months in.
Have you checked what mat leave pay you'd be entitled to if you're on a temporary contract?

MorrisBonsson Sun 22-Nov-20 22:12:24

You should work so you get some mat benefits.

SarahSumner Mon 23-Nov-20 10:15:36

Hi Edin16!
When the contract ends the mat. benefits offered by the company will end, however I will still quality for statutory pay given that I have worked there for 6 months+.
Yes I think it is realistic to plan to go on maternity around month 10, 11. It will still leave a gap for the employer to fill though.

GU24Mum Mon 23-Nov-20 10:18:42

Honestly, don't put anything off on the grounds that you're hoping to get pregnant soon. It could happen the first month or it could take months or you might sadly have a false start so just do what's best for you.

That said, if you are hoping to be on mat leave and return to work, would it be better to look for a permanent contract as it's much easier to come back to an existing job than to try and find one with a young baby.

Ormally Wed 25-Nov-20 11:59:19

Really check the SMP/ maternity pay situation. When you fall between 2 stools, which is quite possible, there are no clear guarantees unless you work beyond a particular date and it depends on whether you are an employee or 'worker' also. This can also be uncertain if you were to have to stop before that date for any reason such as a non-straightforward pregnancy.

The best information about the contrasts I found (10 years ago though) was from Acas.

Alicesweewonders Wed 25-Nov-20 15:36:52

Just go for it, I went off on maternity, my cover got pregnant and was off just before I returned. I came back part-time and she got the permanent job share. It all worked out.

SarahSumner Sat 05-Dec-20 13:16:53

Thanks everyone for your comments!
At the end, I rejected the offer for the maternity cover FTC and went for a less attractive but permanent role. It is nice and reassuring to know that there will be something to go back to after mat leave.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in