Talk

Advanced search

IT Apprenticeship Interview

(3 Posts)
apairofblueeyes001 Fri 09-Oct-20 20:43:08

I would be very grateful for any advice on how to advise my 16 year old DS - he has his first ever interview (virtual) on Tuesday for an IT apprenticeship with a well established firm. They rang him today to advise him of interview so he hasn't got long to prep.

He is very shy and inexperienced and not yet very confident. I have told him to prepare by researching the company, thinking about why he has applied for the job, why he selected that company, what areas of IT he is interested in etc.

Is there any other advice anyone can think of. He is a good lad and I would really like him to do as well as possible for his first interview.

Thank you x

OP’s posts: |
olderthanyouthink Fri 09-Oct-20 20:51:45

What's the job? IT is very broad, software developer, tech support, networking?

Can he give examples of things he's done? For example I did a web developer apprenticeship and showed a website I'd made for a family friend. For tech support I could have talked about building my own computer (both at home and at college), for networking I could have said about the (school) work experience I did with the comma department of a railway.

Has he done anything in school IT that he particularly enjoyed (including trying to get into things he shouldn't grin) and is wanting to do more of? Does he follow any tech topics on social media? Like watching Linus tech tips on YT or reading relevant sub Reddit's.

apairofblueeyes001 Sat 10-Oct-20 12:24:48

Thanks @olderthanyouthink - something else to think about. He has had a YT channel since he was 10 so I have already told him to expand on that.

Yes, IT is a broad area and he seems so far to like programming. He also had a week's work experience at school so he can think about that too.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in