Talk

Advanced search

Give me a kick up the bum to apply for this job

(9 Posts)
Gin42 Sun 04-Oct-20 21:11:52

I don't know what the hell is wrong with me.

3 years ago I applied for a management job but didn't get it; instead I was offered the junior position. I accepted. Now the woman who was successful is about to go off on maternity leave and I should be applying for a fixed term contract for her role... the deadline is tomorrow. I've done almost nothing to move my application along and I'm not sure why. The pay increase would be from £32k to "up to £45k", so realistically £38k I reckon.

I had a bit of a whinge to my DP who said that I probably didn't want the job, otherwise I would have applied for it by now. I don't know how to feel about THAT, either. hmm

Can someone sensible please give me a shake? I think I'll regret it if I allow inertia to win.

OP’s posts: |
Heffapotamus Sun 04-Oct-20 21:26:57

Apply - because if you're not careful you'll be training her replacement - and that would be like a kick in the teeth!

PonDeReplay Sun 04-Oct-20 21:29:44

Apply! You stand to gain lots more than you lose in this situation. Just start drafting the cv / application and reward yourself with something nice when you’re ready to send it in.

shivermetimbers77 Sun 04-Oct-20 21:35:06

You will kick yourself if you don’t: most people regret the things they didn’t do, more than the things they did. Just take a deep breath and open the application form. Do the easy bits of the form first And then if/when it gets to the ‘why are you applying for this post’ box, just write it out s if you were talking aloud to someone you know about why you want the job . Don’t overthink it, just get it on the page and then Edit/ neaten it up afterwards. Good luck!

Gin42 Sun 04-Oct-20 23:17:54

shivermetimbers77

You will kick yourself if you don’t: most people regret the things they didn’t do, more than the things they did. Just take a deep breath and open the application form. Do the easy bits of the form first

Yep, did the east bits! It's just the cover letter and updated CV left to do...

Heffapotamus

Apply - because if you're not careful you'll be training her replacement - and that would be like a kick in the teeth!

This is a very good point I hadn't considered!

TurkeyTrot Mon 05-Oct-20 18:21:55

Your DP may have a point. Something is holding you back!

Did you apply in the end?

Gin42 Mon 05-Oct-20 19:37:01

TurkeyTrot

I've got until midnight.

I've pulled together a cover letter at least.

I did try to leave the organisation last year but couldn't find a job and now with corona I don't imagine I'll be going anywhere soon.

Snog Mon 05-Oct-20 23:27:58

Hurry up OP!
And good luck

Gin42 Tue 06-Oct-20 15:43:07

I applied with 15 minutes to spare and noticed that I put the wrong job title in my cover letter blush I am DOOMED.

In my defense, the team's name has changed 3 times in as many years so it's an easy enough mistake to make. But it sits nicely with my assertion that I have "excellent attention to detail".

Good grief, I need a drink...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in