Redundancy

(8 Posts)
OutOnMyArse Wed 30-Sep-20 12:13:01

Posted this on the Chat board yesterday before realising there was a separate work board!

NC for this in case anyone in RL recognises me from previous posts, but today I've been put on redundancy warning as my employer is restructuring. Well over a decade with the company, which has been most of my adult life. There's potential to reapply for one of the newly created combined roles but reading the descriptions I'm not sure I want to. I'd either be taking a big step backwards, or a step into a more complex and pressured direction I'm not sure I want, and of course no guarantee that I'd even get either role as we'll be shedding a number of people all in the same position and likely to apply.

We had an idea it was coming as my industry has been hard hit by Covid but naively I'd considered myself pretty safe due to my length of service and flexibility (I've worked a number of roles in the company in my time).

So, apart from going directly to the pub when we finish today to drown our sorrows, what do I do now? I haven't had an interview for years and years, I don't even know where to start!

OP’s posts: |
Totickleamockingbird Wed 30-Sep-20 12:22:26

Take each day as it comes. That’s the first step.
Try and achieve small things everyday. Watch motivational videos and read books. I recommend Liz Ryan’s Reinvebtion Roadmap. Name is cheesy but content is very good.
You also need to brush up linked in profiles, CV and talk to recruiters in your industry. You will gain confidence along the way. By the time you interview, you will be buzzing with confidence and motivation.
I have been there so saying this. Taking one step at a time is the key. Oh and treat yourself routinely! You have earned it!

maxelly Wed 30-Sep-20 12:46:26

Sorry to hear this, I think like PP, take it a day at a time and try not to get into a big panicky rush that you need to make decisions all at once. I do think (with no insult to people who have been through bereavement, I have too), losing your job can be like losing a loved one especially if it's a long term job, you go through the same shock/anger/grief process and you definitely need to take some time to process it and be kind to yourself.

It sounds like by giving you early warning your company are at least taking time and trying to do things properly - as a first step can you have a conversation with your manager and/or HR to better understand your options. I would have thought with your 10 years service they will want to keep you, even if they can't say so publicly. So for instance with the lower level jobs what would the salary differential be and would they be prepared to apply a period of salary protection or sliding scale reduction so you don't drop down too much all at once (v common in the public sector to do this, not so sure re private sector but if it saves them money compared to paying you redundancy they may consider it). For the higher level, more complex jobs, what training and support would be there for you? If you did end up being made redundant what would you get and would they be prepared to enhance this if you volunteered for redundancy? Once you have all the information you can make more of an informed decision.

Try not to worry too much about interviews etc., I know it's daunting but there are lots of resources online about how to prepare and I am sure your experience will shine through...

OutOnMyArse Wed 30-Sep-20 12:50:49

Thank you for the kind response! The more I think about it actually the less worried I am about leaving and the more excited about having the opportunity for a fresh start. I think one of the main reasons I've been here so long is that it's been comfy and I've never had the kick up the backside I've needed to make a change.

A family member works in recruitment (sadly not in my area geographically or industry wise) but she's happy to go over my CV and make sure it's up to scratch.

I'm lucky to have a lot of industry contacts in my area and what I'd like to think is a good reputation, so once it's all confirmed I can start putting the word out that I'm looking. With covid still affecting the industry it might be a while until I get anything great, but I'm happy enough to get through the winter doing whatever bits of part-time or casual work I can find here and there; if there's one upside to covid it's taught me that I actually need a lot less money than I thought I did!

OutOnMyArse Wed 30-Sep-20 12:56:23

@maxelly I have a one to one with my line manager tomorrow where I'm going to find out all my options, but the more I think about it the keener I am to just go and find a new path.

Oh and I already have an interview on Friday; I thought there was no harm in looking around already!

OutOnMyArse Fri 02-Oct-20 12:25:43

So I've now stated my preference for voluntary redundancy instead of fighting colleagues for a role I don't want, and been advised this may be the end of the month before it's even confirmed that they'll accept it because of 'the process'. And then 3 months notice to work.

Fuck this limbo!! hmm

OutOnMyArse Fri 02-Oct-20 12:27:32

Also waiting for them to confirm whether redundancy pay will be based on previous salary, or the 33% reduced salary we've all voluntarily been on since March.

If it's the latter there will be absolute hell to pay; I actually get paid less now than I did when I started over a decade ago.

Fantasisa Fri 02-Oct-20 12:30:07

Personally I'd apply for one of the new roles at your workplace and go for that as a way to avoid redundancy for now if you can. Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in