Advanced search

Maternity leave - tax rebate?

(8 Posts)
fibeee Sun 06-Sep-20 14:54:43

Hoping someone who has experienced this can help. The information online is very confusing.

I have been on an enhanced maternity package from my employer and taxed throughout my mat leave so far. That has run out now and I am on MA (not entitled to SMP). Will I get a rebate on any of the tax I’ve paid this financial year? TIA.

OP’s posts: |
fibeee Sun 06-Sep-20 15:05:10

Sorry I should have added that I’m going back to work at the start of Jan so am just wondering if I’ll be entitled to a rebate for the 3 month gap.

OP’s posts: |
YoBeaches Sun 06-Sep-20 15:13:50

Only if your tax code would be wrong given our actual income this tax year in which case you would have over paid and a rebate would be due. Mine happened automatically through my employer.

Everythingsr0sie Sun 06-Sep-20 15:16:02

It depends if you earn over your personal allowance in the 2020/21 tax year. Could you do a rough calculation to see?

Megan2018 Sun 06-Sep-20 15:17:45

I got tax refunded during the months I was on SMP only, so no lump sum rebate at tge end of the tax year but money returned gradually over the remainder of the year. I was on enhanced mat pay Sept-Dec then SMP Jan-May roughly, tax rebates in Jan-March.

fibeee Sun 06-Sep-20 15:27:37

@Everythingsr0sie yes I did a calculation and I will earn over the personal allowance this year.

@Megan2018 thanks. I was wondering if I something similar would happen to me. Small rebates for the 3 months.

OP’s posts: |
dicksplash Sun 06-Sep-20 15:42:16

If you are PAYE and paid tax since April you will start to receive some tax back - your situation is a but strange though as you will switch to getting MA not paid by employer. If you were my employee I would advise you to contact HMRC for advise/let them know of your change in circumstances so they can alter your tax code and who is using it.

RainbowMum11 Sun 06-Sep-20 23:43:03

When you go back in Jan your tax will be adjusted - through PAYE, it is assumed, generally, that your earnings are roughly averaged over the year. As you aren't earning for 3 months, then yes, it is likely that you will receive either a rebate or reduced tax payable from Jan-Mar.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in