Talk

Advanced search

Interview question

(5 Posts)
JK90 Thu 30-Jul-20 23:34:53

How would you answer this;

Describe a time where you have successfully led a team to improve performance and meet business objectives.

OP’s posts: |
YinuCeatleAyru Fri 31-Jul-20 06:53:21

well I would answer it by describing a time when I have successfully led a team to improve performance and meet business objectives. The details of which are obviously irrelevant to anyone except me.

the acronym to remember with questions like this is STAR.

S = situation - describe this in a couple of sentences

T = task - what was your role in this, what were you asked to achieve and what parameters were you set - maybe also what barriers to success were you facing

A = action - what did you personally do. beware of using the word "we" here, the interviewers need to know what you did as an individual so stick to I not We.

R = result - describe the outcome.

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 31-Jul-20 06:57:36

How can we answer this in a way that will support you? Surely it'll be different for everyone?

Glendaruel Fri 31-Jul-20 07:01:06

When prepping for interviews I find it useful to think about a couple different events in my career then when they ask for example of something I can adapt the item I've been thinking about and bring out the points they want.

WeAllHaveWings Fri 31-Jul-20 14:02:42

Agree with using the STAR template to give structure to your question.

Also make sure you answer the question they are asking when you "led a team". So try to focus your answer on the challenges/successes of leading the team (delegating, conflict management, performance management etc) and not just the actual task.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in