Any last minute advice on civil service personal statement?

(4 Posts)
MonsterRehab23 Thu 30-Jul-20 19:05:39

I’m writing a personal statement for an EOI within my department. Word limit fairly short but should contain 3 behaviours within the statement. I’ve never written this type of application so any tips on structure? I was planning on writing a short introduction that highlights my strengths to match the job description and why I want this role. I‘ve for examples that I can use for the behaviours I’m just not sure whether to go very specific or keep it general? Any advice would be much appreciatedsmile

OP’s posts: |
thegreenestbear Thu 30-Jul-20 23:38:32

I've just been part of a sifting panel for CS jobs and we rejected all the applications which were too general.

Lots of people could describe what Working as a Team, or Delivering a Quality Service meant - and we had some excellent descriptions - but we rejected them all in favour of specific examples of a competency when an actual example was given. Use the STAR format - situation, task, action, result - to structure your answer. Keep to the point if word count is tight - you can enlarge on what you did etc when you get to interview. Good luck!

MonsterRehab23 Fri 31-Jul-20 00:13:12

Thanks that really helps. This is a temporary role alongside my normal role so the individual with the best statement will be selected

OP’s posts: |
YinuCeatleAyru Fri 31-Jul-20 07:04:41

use the STAR acronym for describing your behaviours. Situation Task Action Result. eg.

I am experienced in leading Change Management practices in my teams, for example when my current employers introduced Hotdesking I was asked to manage the changeover. I organised a system for team members to raise concerns and deal with issues arising. I drew on my interpersonal and negotiation skills to ease conflicts and resolve disputes as people got used to the new practices. the outcome was that after 6 months the new system was working smoothly.

this is much more credible than "I am experienced at Change Management and have excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills" which is all very nice as a statement but has no proof or substance to it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in