Talk

Advanced search

I feel like a fraud

(6 Posts)
alislim Tue 30-Jun-20 08:58:50

After 10 years in a job an opportunity at work came up for a promotion. I took the chance and got it. Quite shocked as I've jumped up 3 pay scales.
I've done elements of the job, I'll still be working in the same department just on a higher scale. But they'll require more now. When I'm being rational I know that they know I don't know everything about the job, I'll need training etc but I'm scared I'm not up to this!
I've always 'ran away' from opportunities that have come up and preferred to stay in what I'm used to but this pandemic made me think again. I think I'm going to be shit. Help!!!

OP’s posts: |
poptypingchef Tue 30-Jun-20 09:24:13

I had 2 female bosses who I got on well with and I had a similar conversation of them feeling the same.

You have got the job fair and square and the people promoting you have seen your work. Could you lay out all the areas of your job and what you need someone to go through with you and get a training plan in place.

You can do this OP. and you are worth every penny 😉

picklemewalnuts Tue 30-Jun-20 09:47:08

Imagine you're a bloke. He'd be cross with anyone that suggested he didn't know everything already! They know you can do it, respect their choice.

If in doubt,
Fake it till you make it!

picklemewalnuts Tue 30-Jun-20 09:48:10

I don't mean fake knowing stuff you don't know (though it might work).
I mean fake perfect confidence in your ability to perform!

THisbackwithavengeance Tue 30-Jun-20 09:52:07

Look at it another way. You acknowledge that you don't know everything and do your best to acquire the knowledge and skills. Take appropriate advice and training.

As opposed to above mentioned men who don't know anything, pretend they do and then cock up

alislim Tue 30-Jun-20 13:40:18

Hey,
You're right. Got a couple of months before I start. Thank you everyone.
I agree with what you all say- would say it to someone else myself. I did get it fair and square. They do know my history.
(Grow some balls alislim hmm)

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in