Talk

Advanced search

Careers with specific training or qualifications?

(3 Posts)
JStarlight Fri 05-Jun-20 11:02:48

I have worked for a local authority for 6 years and plan to start a family in the next 1-2yrs.
I work as a customer service supervisor (no specific department) we are first point of contact for the whole council however I can do this job with my eyes closed now and it’s starting to bore me, the longer I’m there the longer I feel I’m not progressing.

The maternity pay is often better than the private sector but if I left now, I would still have chance to possibly earn more money for a year and have progressed to a higher role.

My question to you is what job roles do you do/know about where I could progress to without having to go to uni etc (I don’t think this would fit in well starting a family) But happy to train ‘on the job’
Job searches I am doing is ‘customer service manager’ as that’s the only thing I can think of? I’m scared to go to the private sector as I was once ‘fired’ for not picking up the job as quickly as someone else so this has really made me worry!

OP’s posts: |
JStarlight Fri 05-Jun-20 17:04:06

Sorry I mean without specific qualifications!

OP’s posts: |
Levithecat Sun 07-Jun-20 07:59:31

How about an Operational/delivery role in the civil service? Maybe take a look at the CS ‘success profiles’ anyway, as a way to conceptualise your skills and experience.
From experience, starting a family can be unpredictable so if you’re ready to move jobs I’d just crack on with that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in