Talk

Advanced search

Photography

(4 Posts)
Larkin1 Thu 21-May-20 23:29:48

Hi there,

I rarely write on here, but I'm having a mid life crisis and need some advice. I am a mum of 2 boys aged 8 and 5. Before becoming a mum I was rather lazy and spoiled, i feel i had all the love and support of my family but no encouragement or guidance on what to do with my life. I know this is something I should have figured out for myself but I have never known what I wanted to do as a career. Every single place I have worked, I have been a very hard working, loyal, reliable employee, but outside of these small part time jobs, i have never had any direction.

I went to college and Uni with useless qualifications the courses i did were very specificand no use inthe real world. As I said, pre children, i was lazy. But, as many of you know, parenthood changes you. I know, that if i knew what I wanted to do, i would do it well.

I had one job where I absolutely loved to work. It was for a photography company. I loved doing photoshoots,I loved meeting new people everyday and hearing their stories. I was really happy going to work. Unfortunately, the company went into liquidation.

I would love to continue this on my own, but, I lack confidence, I know I can do great photoshoots. I impressed myself with some of the amazing pictures I took, but i doubt myself all the time. I take criticism very personally, I am not sure, I can run my own business. And the big thing, do people even want photoshoots anymore?

I just feel, i need to stop working such low paid jobs and become a better role model for my children. I was proud to tell people I was a photographer, but I feel like the industry is dying. I can't think what else I could do. I seem to adapt well in any job and everywhere I work I just get my head down and work hard. I am valued at my current work, but I can't really develop it into a career .

My husband has a great job, but being a child from a broken family, I can't rely on my husbands wages. I need to do something for me to protect my children and I financially should anything happen.

I would appreciate any advice. I apologise for the long post.

LouiseTrees Thu 21-May-20 23:55:01

Yes people still want photo shoots. Even during the pandemic I know someone getting a doorstep photo shoot. Post pandemic, once we get a vaccine, I feel like there will be big business in family shots of grandparents and grandchildren or in weddings or even divorce (ruin the dress) type stuff.

Larkin1 Fri 22-May-20 15:41:10

Oksmile that makes me feel a lot better thank you. I would love to carry on with photography, it was the one thing I felt I was really good at. Although, I also felt I could be a lot better and have a lot of self doubt. The business side scares me and being self employed! Thank you for replying.

Paralegal202 Tue 26-May-20 10:20:55

What about doing wedding photography? In the age of technology and everyone being able to take photos themselves, wedding photography is something that will not die any time soon smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »