Talk

Advanced search

Not sure what to do with my biology degree

(6 Posts)
unemployedgraduate Tue 21-Apr-20 20:19:18

I have an undergraduate and master's in the biosciences. I graduated with my master's 6 months ago and was planning on trying to get a funded PhD and then pursuing a career in academia. However there are no PhD opportunities available in my field of interest and I am feeling a bit anxious about everything at the moment as I am unemployed and know that this gap on my CV will be looked upon badly.

I love studying biology so I know that I want my career to be biology-related but I am just having a lot of doubts and not really sure what to do.

Ideas I have are:
- Keep looking for and applying for PhDs. After a PhD I would either want to remain in academia or become a scientific writer.
- Do something more healthcare-related. I find myself thinking more and more about this. I really regret not doing something more vocational at university like studying Pharmacy or Dentistry. However I am not sure how that would with student finance as I know they are strict when financing second degrees and I feel like I haven't yet used my biology degree in any jobs so would feel guilty getting another degree.

All I want is stability, I feel so anxious and uncertain at the moment due to being unemployed that it is hard for me to think clearly about what to do.

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
SluggishSnail Sat 25-Apr-20 16:35:22

What is your field of interest?
Where is your degree from and what class?

june2007 Sat 25-Apr-20 16:51:43

My sister worked for a pharmasuitical company originally. (then phd).

unemployedgraduate Sat 25-Apr-20 21:58:46

@SluggishSnail Field of interest is human biology, particularly neuroscience and cardiovascular disease. I don't want to say where my degrees from as I want this to be too outing but they are decent universities. I got a first at undergrad and a distinction in my master's.

OP’s posts: |
SluggishSnail Mon 27-Apr-20 23:30:42

If you have a 1st class degree and a masters distinction from good universities, I struggle to see how you wouldn't be able to get on a PhD program, unless you have literally no knowledge of neuroscience or cardiovascular.
I assume you realise that a lot of PhD programmes recruit in the autumn for the following September?
What was your Masters project in? You should be able to build on that in your CV.
If you have good lab skills, you should be able to get an entry level in a pharmaceutical company. PM me if you want help with that. But please realise that that is a very different route to getting a PhD.

astuz Fri 01-May-20 14:57:57

Running clinical trials? Medical Information?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in