To apply or not to go back into teaching after I escaped!

(7 Posts)
myohmywhatawonderfulday Sun 12-Apr-20 17:31:49

I know no one can make this choice for me.
I also know there is 'no harm in applying'.

I left teaching a year ago after developing terrible migraines that were debilitating and took me away from my family because I was at work or in bed.

Since then I have done a really sweet job for an education charity that has been great. No stress. Lots of fun. No migraines. My family are really have me back.

Enter covid-19. I can't see how my role in my educational charity will be sustainable. If I was schools, I would be closing to outside visitors.

My DH is a builder. Whilst we can ride this wave out if this lock down no income thing continues we can't ride it very long.

So I have seen a job back doing my old job and it looks like a nice school.

I don't know if I am being too hasty applying and jumping ship from my current job/amazing work-life balance?

Or being sensible because forward-thinking says that it could be tough out there and this would see us through?

(I mean there is no guarantee I would get it but because of my skills and experience I would expect to get an interview).

What would you do?

OP’s posts: |
Helpmyhair2019 Sun 12-Apr-20 17:46:55

I am interested in this as well and I have a funny feeling from the way you describe the job you currently have it may be the same as mine!!! I have been out of teaching for 5 years. Left due to stress but seriously don’t think my current job will be here much longer. Going back to teaching (if they’d have me after 5 years off!) would be the sensible thing to do but I don’t know if it’s panic talking

myohmywhatawonderfulday Sun 12-Apr-20 18:36:22

@Helpmyhair2019 absolutely. Part of me is this thing has only just happened - no one knows anything.

My husband's work is good when it's good but who is going to want an extension in a deep recession?

I am trying to imagine why would it be different if I went back - what could I do to manage my own stress better but I don't know... I was thinking of putting a really cheeky application looking for one day working from home.

The only thing is I emailed about the job application yesterday and the PA has replied today. Why is she working on Easter Sunday? Is that a bit of a red flag about the culture???

PotteringAlong Sun 12-Apr-20 18:39:10

The only thing is I emailed about the job application yesterday and the PA has replied today. Why is she working on Easter Sunday? Is that a bit of a red flag about the culture???

You know schools are open at the minute, right? She’s probably working today because she’s in school tomorrow and she’s sorting stuff out.

PotteringAlong Sun 12-Apr-20 18:39:49

Also, how do you work from home as a teacher? It’s not like this is the norm at the minute.

Cosyblanky Sun 12-Apr-20 18:40:00

I left teaching 3 years ago and have never looked back. I had no work life balance and constantly stressed. I became self employed and can now chose who I work with and how many hours I do.

myohmywhatawonderfulday Sun 12-Apr-20 18:51:48

@Potteringalong - Well, that's why it would be a cheeky application.

It's for a Senco role and so to have one day working from home is not unusual due to the high volume of paperwork that needs uninterrupted focus. They could take it or leave it from the start.

I would not expect anyone to be working on Easter Sunday. I think that to expect people to have 'off duty' time is not only reasonable it is healthy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in