Advanced search

I would like to change a letter in my name - in passport

(10 Posts)
stripes11 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:03:19

I woudl like to change a letter in my name - in passport, as people use the spelling that is different in my passport. how do I do it please?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Sat 28-Mar-20 17:35:33

Does the passport match your birth certificate? Is the passport wrong or other people?

stripes11 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:50:51

BIRTH CERTIFICATE HAS been translated from foreign name so that where it got a mistake, normally i am known by the spelling that people spell

OP’s posts: |
00100001 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:52:48

Well, you can't just have a different name on your passport because that's what people call you... :/

Eg if your name is Elizabeth Smith, you can't have a passport that says Lizzie Smith.

It's an officially form of identification....

You'd need to get your birth certificate changed...then your passport.

00100001 Sat 28-Mar-20 17:53:09

Or Isobel/Isabel etc

VivaLeBeaver Sat 28-Mar-20 17:53:57

My name is actually wrong in my passport. It doesn’t match my birth certificate as I made a mistake on my passport form which wasn’t picked up.

I asked about changing it to my correct name and was told I had to provide a deed poll certificate. Which I can’t do as I can’t change my name to what it already is. I’m contemplating changing my name for a week to something totally different and then back to normal!

It’s been like this for years now and I can’t use my passport for ID anymore as every solicitor has picked it up when I’ve tried.

PineappleDanish Mon 06-Apr-20 12:22:17

Simple answer - you can't.

Your passport can only be issued in your official name. The name on your birth certificate, or official ID. It really doesn't matter if your official documents say Vicki and everyone spells your name Vikki. Your official name is Vicki.

As others have said the only way around this would be changing your name by deed poll to Vikki, and then applying for a new passport in your new name. All costs money and takes time. Easier just to make sure when booking travel, you make sure that the name on hte passport is the same as the name on the tickets.

dementedpixie Mon 06-Apr-20 12:24:47

So your passport doesnt match the birth certificate as it's not been translated correctly?

inflam Mon 06-Apr-20 12:25:47

You contact the passport office.

AlmostThereKeepMoving Mon 06-Apr-20 12:29:07

@VivaLeBeaver You can easily make a deed poll certificate. You don't even need a solicitor, just two people to witness it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in