Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of a career in nursing

(2 Posts)
readyforachangemaybe Mon 23-Mar-20 19:18:34

I might be completely mad considering what's going on with Coronavirus right now, but I'm really interested in retraining in nursing. I'm in my early 30s. My main concern (aside from trying to afford it!) is that I have a diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome. I have to have good sleep habits (so worried about nights) and if I don't get enough rest then I get brain fog and generally feel pretty rubbish. I've had active jobs in the past working full time so being on my feet all day isn't a huge change. What do you all think? The university have said they would support my application (although haven't specified how) but I'm mainly thinking about once qualified and probably working on wards. Any advice or thoughts would be really appreciated!

Dyrne Mon 23-Mar-20 19:23:53

Remember to take in to account the mental and emotional exhaustion as well - it’s not just physical.

But if you think you can push through the Uni placements you could always look at getting a job not on wards - there are nursing jobs that don’t involve stepping foot in a hospital and can be more 9-5 Mon-Fri. I’m assuming they’re very popular though and you may need to do a couple of years somewhere else to get experience before you switch.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »