Talk

Advanced search

Wfh with kids issue from employer

(8 Posts)
PinglePongle Wed 18-Mar-20 23:35:22

I have a job that I can do from home (sales) but have just been told I can't do it efficiently with 2 kids at home by HR and will need to take unpaid carers leave now schools are closed, anyone else in the same position?

Surely this is the case for every one right now? I don't understand why my employer is being so difficult

Clevererthanyou Wed 18-Mar-20 23:37:57

I’m in similar but only in that my employer doesn’t want me to wfh as he thinks my job would then be ‘too easy’ and I should be willing to do it for free. It’s a really tense and difficult situation for many of us now op flowers

PinglePongle Wed 18-Mar-20 23:42:59

Thanks for the reply, I feel like everyone is in limbo at the moment and employers aren't helping with any contingency

LaurieFairyCake Wed 18-Mar-20 23:43:13

I'd just say you've got a nanny 🤷‍♀️ and crack on with work

PinglePongle Wed 18-Mar-20 23:51:08

Like the idea but id then be expected back in the office sadly

cabbageking Thu 19-Mar-20 21:22:52

Ask for a trial period to prove you can do it or see if you can sort some child care for a couple of days and do longer hours?

PlanetoftheWood Thu 19-Mar-20 21:27:23

Rather than unpaid leave can you ask to go part time? Then you can work a few hours in the day and evenings/weekends.

Hoppinggreen Sat 21-Mar-20 13:23:35

It’s a pain but if you have young dc your boss may be right
Are you spending time on the phone to potential clients? If that’s the bulk of your work then with Young dc at home I dint see how you could do it
However, it may be that your new employer is having a drastic downturn in business and doesn’t want you to start right now so is using your dc as an excuse
Either way I don’t think you’ve got much choice unfortunately

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »