Talk

Advanced search

New Thinking Behaviours?

(2 Posts)
LeeMills Wed 11-Mar-20 21:36:18

Hi everybody,

Just a quick post about something that has bothered me this week.

I started a new job as a trainee auditor and so far I’m enjoying it. I’ve not made any major mistakes but one thing that is clear to me is that I have to change the way I think about the job. I’m sort of in a supervisor role and have two people working on a project I’ve been leading.

One of the people I’m supervising made a mistake, which led us to losing a customer. Some people have said it’s not my fault, while others have said I should take some responsibility. Personally, I should take some responsibility for it because I didn’t do a handover. I assumed the person would be fine.

My question is this: I need to change the way I think about the job. I’m learning lessons as I’m going along and seeing how I should approach tasks. I need to change this thinking. What is the best way of doing this? Writing it out? Visualising ideally how I should deal with situations?

Any replies / answers / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

Lee.

Sunnytimesahead Thu 12-Mar-20 10:57:27

Hi OP,

Firstly is there anything you could do to try and win back the customer? Have you spoken to them, apologised and tried to make sure there is nothing you could offer to change their mind?

Do you have a mentor or supervisor you can speak to in order to ask for support in your new role and gain from their experience?

What about any training courses you could go on to build on your skills and help with confidence?

You sound like a thoughtful person and I would say don't be too hard on yourself. With time your experience will grow and this will seem like a distant memory.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »