Talk

Advanced search

References and time for interviews??? What to do?

(6 Posts)
Cordial11 Fri 14-Feb-20 00:13:51

I am currently applying for Government jobs and on application you must give a reference for your current workplace.

I really want these roles but I am scared stiffless of them requesting a reference but I don’t have the job yet. On top of this I am worrying how to get out of work for interviews.

If my current work found out I was trying to leave , I believe they would manage me out (they manage out alot)

Ahhh I am just panicking and I haven’t even got an interview yet! grin it could take months and months or never!

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 14-Feb-20 06:13:54

They won't request references until you have been given a provisional offer. That's when they start pre employment checks, references are part of that.

Weffiepops Fri 14-Feb-20 06:24:18

You could have a doctors or dentists appointment rather than an interview

Cordial11 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:10:41

We have to give a signed note from doctors and dentist, same if we attend with a partner ahh!

Great about refs!

OneOfManyDays Fri 14-Feb-20 07:49:42

Take a sick day? I thought legally you could self certify as sick for a week then you're required to produce a doctors note. Surely you don't have to get a doctors note for one day sick leave!? How does that actually even work - what a waste of doctors time!

Cordial11 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:18:12

I know - I am not in the UK , if we don’t bring a letter it’s unpaid and yes waste of doctors time for a note, even one day or 1 hr (i.e left early sick)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »