Talk

Advanced search

Tax: PT Employed and Business Venture

(3 Posts)
Abigail333 Thu 13-Feb-20 22:44:24

Hi,
Wonder if I could get a little insight to an idea I have.

I work PT(21h) for a company. Because I earn under the threshold, I don’t pay tax. Think I come out just over 9k.

However, I’m wanting to do more, I sadly can’t get a new FT job as we can’t afford childcare but I have been researching a potential business venture I can do PT from home.

My plan was to still work PT nights in my current job while the venture builds up as I work during any downtime I get when I get home and then eventually give up my role if I feel it is a better opportunity to focus on.

However, Because I am planning to work PT in my current role and need to register Self Employed for this new venture, I am unsure how much my earnings will be until it is in full swing. I have ran a small side business before and when it came to doing my SA and paying any tax, I paid at the end of the accounting year.

How does this work when your current PT job doesn’t tax because of under the threshold, do I still pay any bills at the end of the year or because I will still be working in my current job while running this, could this cause a lot of issues.

Sorry if this sounds like jibberish but just trying to make sure I dont shoot myself in the foot as money is tight as it is, I dont want to have a massive bill mid year or a surprise charge somewhere.

pascalstriangle Fri 14-Feb-20 14:42:06

Tax return at the end of the following financial year. I just completed mine for 18/19 so any tax due is up to two years after you've earned it. Tax return takes all details from job/self employed work and calculates tax owed. You may, in the future, have to pay some tax on account at the beginning of a tax year but that is something to worry about much later when you self employed income is higher.

Abigail333 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:06:21

That’s perfect,
Thanks so much. It’s been a few years since I was SE and since I’m not taxed for my PT job that this might cause issues.
I’ll be hiring an accountant to make things a bit easier but been working on finalising my plan and my start up costs and wanted to make sure no sudden bills appeared when I have everything jotted down.

I’m unsure if NI requires to be paid differently.
When registering my last self employment, my business wasn’t going to make a lot of money (selling hobby pieces) and there was something about NI2 & NI4, I’m not sure if this was still the same.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »