Talk

Advanced search

Career vs Mum guilt

(5 Posts)
Lolly35 Thu 30-Jan-20 20:47:33

I am seriously considering a complete career change which would require me working full time and on occasion being away from home for a few weeks at a time (definitely for initial training).

I am a mum of 3 and have been with my husband 15 years. He is coming to the end of his military career and I feel it's my time to have a career.
I've spend 13 years following him in his job and basically starting from scratch every 2 years when we've moved. I've always put my family first and I'm struggling with the fact that I will be the one out of the home all the time.

My eldest 2 children will be at boarding school as of September, so it'll just be little one at home.

Is it selfish to want to go off a rediscover myself and try something new?
My husband is very supportive and likes the idea, I'm just doubting the logistics etc.

Anyone in a similar situation?

OP’s posts: |
BackforGood Fri 31-Jan-20 00:27:12

Of course it's not selfish. Good marriages work on working together and now it is your turn to focus on your career for a while.

Stabbitha1 Fri 31-Jan-20 14:21:53

I wouldn't do this if i had young children still but then boarding school is not something id put my children in either.
You know your family and self best, if you think its worth it do it.

Tini17 Sat 01-Feb-20 06:07:30

Not selfish at all!
You are a team and it is now your turn to focus on your career.
Good luck smile x

icklekid Sat 01-Feb-20 06:11:12

I think it’s definitely time to do something for you and your career- I stepped up massively earlier than intended (my youngest was 2) but felt like my career had been on hold for long enough and the opportunity came up. I don’t regret it as I’m so much happier. I just make sure I put aside limits in eve and weekends to enjoy family time. My dh is also supportive which makes a big difference

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in