Talk

Advanced search

Interview question

(8 Posts)
PretzelPrincess Mon 13-Jan-20 21:38:25

How would you answer this competency based interview question?

Describe a time you have made and maintained a relationship outside your usual work/social circle.

I'm really not sure I answered it in the correct way and would like better answers for further interviews!

BackforGood Mon 13-Jan-20 22:24:09

My response would have been to ask for clarification.

Relationships do tend to be
family
social
or
through your job.

f they are saying outside of work or social, I'd want to know what they were asking about

PretzelPrincess Tue 14-Jan-20 16:21:09

I guess I should have. I do feel all relationships fit into work/social categories. And any that have been made outside of this have been for a purpose so quite contrived.

maxelly Thu 16-Jan-20 12:21:03

Yes, that's an odd question. I guess they might be getting at how you build relationships with people that are very different to you, come from different backgrounds or cultures? So I might talk about someone I'd met through one of my hobbies or volunteering, perhaps I'd use the example of the older ladies who are long term volunteers at the charity, at first it didn't seem like we had much in common and they mainly wanted to boss me around, then through conversation about the charity and general clarification of what we could each contribute the relationship improved and now we get on well. Something like that. But I wouldn't be at all confident I'd gotten the right end of the stick! How did you answer it and did you get any feedback?

SallyWD Thu 16-Jan-20 12:36:43

I made friends with an elderly neighbour and used to help her out sometimes (getting her shopping, pulling her bins out). It was a nice friendship. Is that the kind of answer they're looking for?

KatherineJaneway Thu 16-Jan-20 12:47:39

Sounds like they are asking if you use LinkedIn or similar networking apps / events to get to know people to create a support network in your chosen industry.

PretzelPrincess Thu 16-Jan-20 14:58:36

So I spoke about LinkedIn and making various connections through there and focused on one and spoke about that.
It just didn't seem very organic though so I've been left pondering over the question!

I haven't heard back from the interview yet but I think I will ask them when I do. For my own peace of mind!

KatherineJaneway Thu 16-Jan-20 22:50:50

Why not,it is an odd sounding question to me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »