Talk

Advanced search

What else could I do....

(4 Posts)
NurseandMum80 Fri 10-Jan-20 11:36:26

Hello,
So I’ve been a nurse within the nhs for the past 8 years.
I love my job, most of my colleagues and the patients. BUT the job has changed dramatically in the past 12 months and has had a huge effect on my physical and mental health. sad
I am currently signed off from work due to stress and anxiety/depression. My sick note runs out at the end next week and I am feeling sick and stressed at the thought of going back. blush

I have never felt like this or been off for this length of time and I am concerned that I am going to go back again and feel the same as I did when I left.
I spoke to a colleague who said it’s still horrendous at work and she feels like leaving. sad

So I would like to change career completely maybe but I don’t know what to do!
I’m currently a band 5 nurse. Has anybody done a prescribing course or looked into Giving botox ? This is one idea I’ve had. confused

Or stop completely and do something else I really don’t know.
I am also a single mum I have a little girl and feel I’m losing out on my time with her.

Thanks any advice or tips appreciated smile

Lovejay Tue 14-Jan-20 12:35:49

Hi
What about looking at wellbeing? Lots of big companies are employing people in this area now. Or secondary school matron - then you get the holidays off!
Good luck - you have lots of transferrable skills smile

madcatladyforever Tue 14-Jan-20 14:39:50

I gave up nursing about 15 years ago because the stress was too much, the 12 hour shifts were killing me, I'm 57. I had complete burn out and quite honestly I could not go on. I'm a single mum too.
I went into insurance as a nurse medical advisor, I had three jobs in insurance, all 9-5. Then retrained as an NHS podiatrist where I am now.
NHS podiatry is great, 100 times less stressful than nursing, 9-5 weekends and bank holidays off yet still interesting.
If I'd stayed in nursing I would have gone into the community or health visiting.

NurseandMum80 Tue 14-Jan-20 18:22:50

Good ideas , Thank you x
Yes I will take a look at what’s around
Thanks again star

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »