Talk

Advanced search

Found out I'm Pregnant a week into a new job

(3 Posts)
Sk191 Wed 08-Jan-20 20:45:34

Hi

Hope someone can help as I am worrying myself into a spiral. I have just started a job in a new sector and it's my dream job, however I've just found out this evening that I'm pregnant! The pregnancy is unexpected I have PCOS so was under investigation and about to be referred for more testing.

And genuinely I'm just panicking because I dont know how to tell my new employer, when to tell them, what to expect etc. I know you cant pick timing always on these things but I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the news.

Has anyone had a similar experience or can help?

Seashells47 Thu 09-Jan-20 10:24:31

Congratulations!!! You don’t need to panic, you don’t need to tell your employer until you’re ready to, I told mine at 4 months, unless you feel you need to tell them for safety reasons if your job concerns them. Also, you are protected as a pregnant mother, an employer cannot let you go because you are pregnant if that’s what you are worried about, I don’t know how long your probation period is but you could wait until after then just to give yourself peace of mind.

ExpletiveDelighted Thu 09-Jan-20 10:35:00

Do check your company handbook, health and safety procedures etc, some jobs require you to tell management straight away so risk assessments can take place. If your job involves manual handling or use of chemicals for example. All my jobs have been like this but only immediate line management / occ. health etc need to know, everyone else can wait. Congratulations!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »