What is the qualification needed to be an NVQ assessor

(4 Posts)
whatsthatnow74 Wed 08-Jan-20 16:21:17


I’m a qualified early years teacher with twelve years experience in a nursery setting.

I’m looking to train as an NVQ assessor but I’m getting really confused about which qualification I’d need. It seems to be constantly changing!

Also, who do assessors work for generally?

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
MaybeDoctor Thu 09-Jan-20 13:22:18

I have looked into this and it seems quite tricky to get into.

The qualification is called TAQA. But you can't just rock up to a college and do a TAQA course - you have to be assessing candidates in order to complete the course requirements. So you mostly get an opportunity to do TAQA by working for a college or other provider, for which you really need to take a teaching qualification called AET (previously PTTLS). But colleges generally like people who are assessing candidates to already have TAQA...

It's a TAQ-ing chicken and egg!

whatsthatnow74 Thu 09-Jan-20 19:38:06

Thanks Maybedoctor.

Yes, I sort of thought that might be a stumbling block. I see there are some courses which provide learners for training purposes, but not sure what the quality of these providers is.

OP’s posts: |
Juststopit Thu 09-Jan-20 19:40:19

it’s CAVA for assessors I m sure. TAQA is for the IQA role. Some training providers will provide learners for you to work with while you qualify.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in