Talk

Advanced search

Not technically fired so why do I feel like I have been

(3 Posts)
Gibbstheory Tue 03-Dec-19 09:58:37

Recently employed for a new job and have only been there for 6 weeks, so I know that they can fire me for whatever reason they like since I was in my probabtion period.

So I was employed for a cleaning company that gets contracted out to different sites, and when I first started, and I feel like this is relevant, I was only given 2 hours of training and left to get on with it, so it was a bit of guess work on my part about what needed to be done and when since it's all lone work.

I received an email last night, basically saying my work isn't up to standard and after talking to the client they feel I'm not the best fit for this job, so that there taking me off this site, effective immediately. Although dissapointed, because they hadn't previously raised any concerns and it sort of came out of the blue.

Another reason was because I had 2 days off sick as I had a chest infection but I also suffer from asthma, this apparently left the company open to loosing the contract if they couldn't get someone in to cover my shift, I could understand this, if it applied to everyone who worked there. But a colleague who is contracted for 5 days a week regularly only works 3.5-4 days a week so I was always covering shifts he didn't do. The company is known to have a bully culture, and I know for a fact other cleaners have been fired because they don't fit the description of who they want working at the site.

So basically although I haven't technically been fired, because in the email he said he could find me alternative hours at other sites, I know the sites are too far away for me to get too, so I wouldn't be able to continue working for the company.

I haven't responded to the email yet, because to be honest I havent worked out what to say, so I guess this post is asking for advice, how would you respond to an email basically although not technically firing you? I've never been in this position before.

ElluesPichulobu Tue 03-Dec-19 11:09:09

Chalk it up to experience and move on. It sounds like an awful place to work anyway. There is no point responding to the email with anything about your suspicions, or the culture, or the unspoken reasons. It won't do any good and could do you harm.

Say "thanks for the offer of finding other sites, but as far as I am aware the other possible sites are too far for me to be able to travel to. Please do let me know if you have any further opportunities within X miles of Y"

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Wed 04-Dec-19 13:00:47

I work in a similar industry and see this a lot.. basically the client can request the removal of employees at will. It is an incredibly insecure position to be in for an employee. I knew of someone who had been working on a site for 8 years, one comment taken the wrong way and he was gone overnight. Luckily he was found work elsewhere, but had this not been the case he would have been dismissed perfectly legally.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »