Talk

Advanced search

Shift work. Anyone else struggle?

(1 Post)
Orangelover Thu 21-Nov-19 13:51:37

I'm in a career that is largely shift work and have worked shifts for the last 7-8 years. I've never loved the random working patterns but dealt with them a lot better a few years ago.

Now days I spent my days off slobbing about in my PJs because I'm so tired coming off nights and twilight shifts and cleaning my house because all my other friends and family work mon-fri 9/5. I seem to work quite a few weekends which means loads of weekdays off twiddling my thumbs. Even when I go out I end up roaming around on my own and really look forward to OH coming home at night.

I join gym classes and go for a couple of weeks and start enjoying them, then will be at work for the next few weeks on that day and can't go. I think I struggle with lack of routine? I literally work completely random shifts from one week to the next.

I'm currently applying for other jobs in this area that aren't shift based but some of them are quite competitive so I might end up in another shift working post to boost my CV for another year or two but the thought of it is confused

I knew it was part of the job when I chose my career, and I will get on with it but does anyone hate shift work?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »