Talk

Advanced search

New job troubles

(7 Posts)
RusticFern Thu 21-Nov-19 12:20:15

Bit of a rant. I started a new job this Monday and coming to the end of my first week. I feel like I've not really done anything or leaned anything. Im being given basic admin tasks like checking diaries, booking meetings, taking notes etc but even then, it's only one task a day if that so for the rest of the day I'm twiddling my thumbs. I've asked A LOT if anyone has anything for me to do but I get the same 'well we don't want to over burden you' but how am I supposed to learn if I don't just do it?

I left my previous role due to not having enough work and being under stretched. I feel like I've gone straight in to the same thing but with slightly more money and a different office.

Is this a common thing? Does everyone else feel like their role is pretty much non existent?

RusticFern Fri 22-Nov-19 07:47:13

Bump

Thesuzle Fri 22-Nov-19 07:51:25

New just nearly always start slow, especially in offices, being a doctor in a hospital is another matter.
Perhaps that dont have anyone suitable available to train you ?
Are there any online training manuals on the company, to work through, ask them.

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 22-Nov-19 17:39:38

Are you being given the work you understood that you were being employed to do?

RusticFern Fri 22-Nov-19 18:07:33

I've stayed with the same company just moved departments and offices so I already know a lot about the company.

No its completely different to what I signed up. I'm supposed to be project managing but as of yet, I've not touched a project :-(

Elieza Fri 22-Nov-19 18:23:55

Just hang in there. Enjoy the extra money. Keep keen.

Isleepinahedgefund Sat 23-Nov-19 07:17:22

Instead of asking what you can do, how about asking when your project will be starting? I think it’s reasonable to ask.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »