Talk

Advanced search

Senior Civil Service Application

(2 Posts)
witheringrowan Tue 12-Nov-19 16:30:00

I'm applying for a Deputy Director position in the Civil Service (coming from the private sector, but was in the civil service for 4 years at the start of my career) & I'm looking for some advice as the application isn't the competency style ones used for SEO/G7/G6 etc roles. Instead it asks for a CV and a supporting statement, and there's no mention of the behaviours that the application will be assessing as there are for less senior roles.

So, should I treat the supporting statement as I would a cover letter, or make it more competency based, or some combination of the two? Any tips gratefully received!

OP’s posts: |
Isleepinahedgefund Tue 12-Nov-19 17:13:05

SCS up to Director General Level is covered by the behaviours. But with the new success profiles they don’t have to use the behaviour statements if they don’t want to - they’ve chosen to go for a personal statement/CV type ask instead. Different departments do different things recruitment wise these days.

Use the personal statement to show how you demonstrate the criteria in the job spec (so a bit competency based) and make sure you stick to the word count if there is one.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in