Talk

Advanced search

Maternity allowance help/advice!

(10 Posts)
shanchanx Sat 09-Nov-19 19:36:47

Hi everyone smile

I'm 33 weeks pregnant, I put my claim for maternity allowance in 5 weeks ago and got a text on the 4th of October confirming they had it and I'd get a response in 8 weeks (still 3 weeks to go for that date) I only placed at 27+3 due to waiting on my 4th pay slip from my job. I've seen a few mums recently claiming its taken months for their decision and recently (saw people's text responses from DWP at end of Oct stating a 12 weeks delay) has anyone got any recent updates or stories?

Also, how is it worked out? Is it by contract or my pay slips? I'm only contracted (don't actually have a contract) to work 15 hours a week, but the payslips I gave show me doing much more hours and I'm not sure how they work it out?

Thanks! I can't find much info on how they calculate it or any more info on where they are with the delay/back log so any info on people getting a payment recently but applying prior would be fab! Xx

OP’s posts: |
Tbug Sat 09-Nov-19 23:49:24

There's a few websites that explain it really well or you can call and ask smile) should come up when you Google xx

shanchanx Sun 10-Nov-19 10:36:26

Hi tbug,

I just wanted to see any personal experiences as online just says 12 weeks? And ltos of people have had no joy when calling and I cant find anywhere about how they break it down

NeedAnExpert Sun 10-Nov-19 10:41:40

It’s based on earnings, not contracted hours.

Did you start this employment already pregnant? Just wondering why you’re claiming MA rather than SMP.

NeedAnExpert Sun 10-Nov-19 10:43:14

MA is paid at one of 3 flat rates, so nothing to calculate?

www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/what-youll-get

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 10:12:35

Hi need an expert - yes I was very early on when I started my new job, unknown to myself. I was about 2 months out. So yes, that's why I'm claiming MA. Okay so I usually earn way more than my contracted hours.

I asked as I wasn't sure how to calculate it? If I base it on my CH I only get around 100p/w but if off actual pay its a lot more, so there is a need to try calculate it?

dementedpixie Sat 30-Nov-19 10:22:32

You need the pay slips with your highest earnings as it's 90% of earnings or £148.68 (whichever is lower). Its based on actual earnings, not contracted hours

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 11:45:25

Hi demented pixie,

What if alll the pay slips I put in had different earnings? How would they work it out then?

dementedpixie Sat 30-Nov-19 11:54:55

They add them together and take an average of the weekly earnings and if 90% of those earnings is over £148.68 then that's how much you'll get. If it's under £148.68 then you'll get that figure

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 14:28:15

Literally just got it through the post! More than my usual monthly income if I work my contracted hours whixh I've never done so! First payment is next week, brill! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in