Talk

Advanced search

Maternity allowance help/advice!

(10 Posts)
shanchanx Sat 09-Nov-19 19:36:47

Hi everyone smile

I'm 33 weeks pregnant, I put my claim for maternity allowance in 5 weeks ago and got a text on the 4th of October confirming they had it and I'd get a response in 8 weeks (still 3 weeks to go for that date) I only placed at 27+3 due to waiting on my 4th pay slip from my job. I've seen a few mums recently claiming its taken months for their decision and recently (saw people's text responses from DWP at end of Oct stating a 12 weeks delay) has anyone got any recent updates or stories?

Also, how is it worked out? Is it by contract or my pay slips? I'm only contracted (don't actually have a contract) to work 15 hours a week, but the payslips I gave show me doing much more hours and I'm not sure how they work it out?

Thanks! I can't find much info on how they calculate it or any more info on where they are with the delay/back log so any info on people getting a payment recently but applying prior would be fab! Xx

Tbug Sat 09-Nov-19 23:49:24

There's a few websites that explain it really well or you can call and ask smile) should come up when you Google xx

shanchanx Sun 10-Nov-19 10:36:26

Hi tbug,

I just wanted to see any personal experiences as online just says 12 weeks? And ltos of people have had no joy when calling and I cant find anywhere about how they break it down

NeedAnExpert Sun 10-Nov-19 10:41:40

It’s based on earnings, not contracted hours.

Did you start this employment already pregnant? Just wondering why you’re claiming MA rather than SMP.

NeedAnExpert Sun 10-Nov-19 10:43:14

MA is paid at one of 3 flat rates, so nothing to calculate?

www.gov.uk/maternity-allowance/what-youll-get

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 10:12:35

Hi need an expert - yes I was very early on when I started my new job, unknown to myself. I was about 2 months out. So yes, that's why I'm claiming MA. Okay so I usually earn way more than my contracted hours.

I asked as I wasn't sure how to calculate it? If I base it on my CH I only get around 100p/w but if off actual pay its a lot more, so there is a need to try calculate it?

dementedpixie Sat 30-Nov-19 10:22:32

You need the pay slips with your highest earnings as it's 90% of earnings or £148.68 (whichever is lower). Its based on actual earnings, not contracted hours

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 11:45:25

Hi demented pixie,

What if alll the pay slips I put in had different earnings? How would they work it out then?

dementedpixie Sat 30-Nov-19 11:54:55

They add them together and take an average of the weekly earnings and if 90% of those earnings is over £148.68 then that's how much you'll get. If it's under £148.68 then you'll get that figure

shanchanx Sat 30-Nov-19 14:28:15

Literally just got it through the post! More than my usual monthly income if I work my contracted hours whixh I've never done so! First payment is next week, brill! Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »