Talk

Advanced search

Which job?

(2 Posts)
Pashola Thu 07-Nov-19 10:51:24

Hi there,
So I was working for a company in one dept but left earlier this year for many reasons, but still loved the company I worked for.
Three months after I had left they asked me to come back part time and help them out on a short term contract which finished at the end of October, as soon as my contract was up I had found another job which is also part time and this week has been my first week.
But now my old company has offered me another position with them!

I really don't know what to do! I love my old workplace and it feels so familiar to me, I know everyone etc, they are obviously happy with me and my work and it was only circumstances why they didn't offer this to me before my contract ended.
They are offering two days (school hours) for now increasing to 4 early next year (with 2x full time). They are a very flexible workplace.

My new job so far is ok, my team seem lovely and it's not customer facing so quite relaxed. They are not as flexible and have offered me three days school hours with room to increase when I want to.
The work is very repetitive and will have its challenges but as awful as this sounds, I don't feel proud to say I work there or what my role is. I'm on a 6 month probation.

I was hoping to only work 3days for at least the next 12months, but 4 is doable.

I absolutely hate making decisions like this and don't know what to do!

Theresa17 Thu 07-Nov-19 19:51:06

Can you discuss working only 3 days, at least for a while, with your previous company? If they are flexible this might be possible and they obviously value your work.
With regards to the actual work, which work do you prefer doing? If you feel a bit uninspired with the new job, that's not a great sign, but on the other hand, you might feel a less demanding role is what you need for the moment. My personal experience is that I prefer to do work I enjoy, find engaging and challenging (in a good way, if that makes sense). Although it may in theory be more demanding, I find in the long run I feel better with this type of work. Work that doesn't really suit you often becomes a lot more draining, even if it is "easy" in principal. I don't know how old your little one(s) is / are, but worth considering what example you want to set. Do you want them to see mum being proud of her work and looking forward to it?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »