Talk

Advanced search

Fixed term ending and anxiety for the future

(4 Posts)
Cremdelacrem Mon 04-Nov-19 07:14:38

Hi

Its my first proper job and it is fixed term contract. I'm getting more worried as I approach the end of my contract.

Do you have any words of wisdom or encouragement to help me see the positive in this? I feel out of control and like a fraud who will be found out to be incompetent and dismissed even before the term ends.

What do i say when i'm asked why i left if:

- i leave before the term ends? Is it even a good idea? Do i wait until i'm 2 months away from the end to job hunt or when should i look around?

- if i get dismissed due to performance or worse due to attitude or something like that.. what do i say? If i feel the ship is sinking is it best to 'jump'? But i'm worried i am catastrophising which I know i sometimes do.

- do i just stay put and see what happens? They say its easier to find a job when you have a job.. what if i do nothing and at the end they dismiss me?

My main anxiety is from lack of security and support.. but i guess most jobs dont have a lot of support anyway, right?

The pay isn't great but it's a short commute and I like my colleagues.

Please advise. Thank you.

Imicola Mon 04-Nov-19 08:02:45

How long is the contract overall? I used to work in academia where fixed term contracts are common, I've been on 6 month contracts up to 3 year contracts. Always try to secure something before the term ends, id probably be looking about 6 months ahead. It absolutely won't look bad to leave before the contract ends, as if you wait to long you may end up with a gap in employment which would look worse on a cv and be harder in terms of living with no income. Is there a possibility of a new contract? I think you should be discussing with your manager if there are options where you are, but also to let them know you'll be looking elsewhere.
Hope that helps, but perhaps it might be industry specific... What industry are you in?

KatherineJaneway Mon 04-Nov-19 08:12:47

Did you get a job through an agency? If so, you need to get in touch with them nearer the time to discuss your next role.

Is there a possibility of an extension of this role?

I wouldn't leave before the end of my term if you are there to work on a specific project.

Cremdelacrem Mon 04-Nov-19 08:43:22

Thanks for your replies.

The contract is 9 months and in charity so subject to funding. I applied directly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »