Talk

Advanced search

Has anybody retrained as a teacher from wildly different career?!

(52 Posts)
crispycrisis Thu 31-Oct-19 10:28:21

Has anyone retrained as a teacher from a completely different career path?!

butterflywings37 Fri 01-Nov-19 13:34:28

I am a teacher - I leave home at 6:45am ( to get into work for 7:20am. Work through lunch and breaks.I leave work about 4:30 to get home for about 5:15 ( traffic reasons). I then do about 3-4 hours per evening at home. I won't work on a Friday night but I do work about 7-10 hours on a weekend day ( I make sure I have one day with no work).
This is how I have always worked both in mainstream primary and now in a sen school and I am an experienced teacher.

The work/life balance in term time is poor. Holidays do make it bearable but I work every holiday - never have a full holiday 'off'. This half term I have already worked for about 20 hours and need to do another day to get my planning etc ready for Monday.

However I love teaching - I love being in the classroom but don't love the politics, budget cuts (meaning low support and resources) or the workload/hours.

bookishtartlet Fri 01-Nov-19 16:38:57

I'm secondary English, have been teaching 9 years.

The school makes the difference. I'm certainly not marking and planning every night any more. I do lots of peer and self assessment, as well as assessment is for learning activities and chat to pupils regularly during class work to see if they are struggling. I only mark maybe 3 or 4 long pieces a term per class.

Certain points of the year are busier than others. I can request time to see my son's nursery play etc.

If you have a sense of humour, decent organisation and can be flexible then the job is great. The first two years were really intense, but it's paid off for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »