Talk

Advanced search

Handshake faux pas at interview?

(12 Posts)
CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Thu 10-Oct-19 14:54:53

Hi All

Just curious to gather opinions here...

Is it a faux pas to shake hands with the panel members at the start and end of a formal interview?

Thanks in advance for your replies smile

MirandaWest Thu 10-Oct-19 14:57:11

I wouldn’t have thought so

partysong Thu 10-Oct-19 14:58:11

Doesn't matter either way, I don't like a handshake myself but I wouldn't be less likely to give you a job because of it

FenellaMaxwell Thu 10-Oct-19 15:02:00

Depends on the size of the panel. 3 people, then fine. 6 people, awkward and time consuming.

Bluntness100 Thu 10-Oct-19 15:02:49

I think this is good etiquette

Horehound Thu 10-Oct-19 15:07:18

No of course not!

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Thu 10-Oct-19 15:16:06

Thanks for the quick responses!

I got the job but discovered recently that one of the (3) panel members mentioned it unfavourably during the decision making process.

Everywhere you look online for interview tips says a handshake is good etiquette (in the UK at least) but maybe I overdid it by doing it when I left and should have just said 'thanks for your time, nice to meet you'? Apparently I was the only one interviewed who shook hands which does surprise me.

Either way I'm sure I will massively otherthink this in future interview scenarios! blush

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Thu 10-Oct-19 22:38:31

I would wait to see if they put their hand out first... always let them lead.

Shinyletsbebadguys Thu 10-Oct-19 22:42:15

I think if interviewers would base a decision on that I would not be concerned with their views . (Unless a key piece of information was that there was something unsavoury on your hand...I doubt it if you got the job grin).

I interview a lot and always factor in some level of social nicety mishap as nerves. (I once had a poor woman miss the chair when she went to sit down...excellent candidate just very nervous....she got the job and was fantastic at it)

Dont stress , its what you do in the job that matters.

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Fri 11-Oct-19 09:29:04

@CloudsCanLookLikeSheep that's good advice, I think that's what I'll do in future.

@Shinyletsbebadguys haha there definitely wasn't!

Thank you, I definitely thought it came across as nit-picking, but as you say I'm sure it won't be an issue once I'm in the role and have proven myself to be not a total freak!

runningtogetskinny Fri 11-Oct-19 12:44:42

I interviewed a man who shook hands with all 3 of us on the panel, however, when he shook mine he added a wink! I checked with the two men on the panel and he hadn't winked at them - I marked him down for it, he didn't get a job!

CoolcoolcoolcoolcoolNoDoubt Fri 11-Oct-19 13:58:50

There was no winking involved 😅

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »