Talk

Advanced search

Need to decide on a job

(10 Posts)
Flowerpot26 Thu 10-Oct-19 02:40:45

Ugh it the same question I'm bored of asking myself, what should /can I do? I'm 35, have a toddler married, husband has own business doing well tho it demands alot of his time and we are tied to where we live due to it, tho lovely home and set up. However that's him, I feel like I've not achieved much, I graduated from uni with a sports management type degree, wasnt sure what to do so joined the military in the medical field loved it and wanted to progress did a few years life got in the way and I had to leave. Joined the NHS but not in a technical medical role was about to then sickness in family ment I couldn't commit and did alot of caring and looking after , then about 3 years ago I left NHS for a complelty different job that does pay well but bores me and I don't want to do long term, I feel like I'm going to be to old soon to re train in whatever is I want to do which I'm not sure of yet,due to lots of trauma over the years I feel I need a break from health care, I've also just lost my mum which is heart breaking and she's left me inheritance, I want to make good use of it and do something that will make me happy long term job wise but not sure of what or when, or if I shud just enjoy being at home with my baby and worry about all this later, just don't want to not have any talents skills or a good job. sorry for the ramble I'm on a night shift and can't stop thinking I need a new job and a holiday!

HUZZAH212 Thu 10-Oct-19 02:54:19

Well it sounds like the world's your oyster on the retraining front tbh. You've a lot of skills/qualifications/experience already that will massively help on your CV. In an ideal world what would you like to do? What fills you with joy? There's often volunteering opportunities to dip your toe in certain sectors and see if they feel a good fit.

Flowerpot26 Thu 10-Oct-19 03:04:01

Thanks for replying, tho I don't feel like I do, I feel a mess and have no idea what to do, I love animals so thought maybe vet nurse tho not sure I could cope with the sad parts, I have space to open a small cattery at home but not sure I could manage it with a young child and I would like another. Shud I wait till children r in school? Then go back to study something but then I'll be in my ealry 40s at the earliest.
Ugh how did you kniw what to do? I feel like I do alot of things but never actually achieve much xx

Flowerpot26 Thu 10-Oct-19 03:06:11

I love being nice to people and animals, working in a team, and like abit of excitement or variety within a day, what are my options xx

Lemonchorizo Thu 10-Oct-19 03:40:28

Your experience sounds very good to me too. Perhaps you need to look at your Cv or write down your achievements to remind yourself.
Life events can knock one's confidence (I am discovering this) so might need to remind yourself what you can do thanks
Could you take time out to be with your child and volunteer in areas you are interested in before deciding what to do. It might give you time to think about what come next. If your inheritance could cover the odd day a week of childcare and any training you do afterwards this could work?

HUZZAH212 Thu 10-Oct-19 03:45:05

Ah, unfortunately I don't have the answers there. I've a friend who was a veterinary nurse and loved the job (I think the happy times outweighed the sad). Obviously dealing with trauma is never nice for anyone, but there's always the miracle moments that occur in any type of health care setting be it animals or humans. A cattery would be obviously very demanding in regards to start up costs/regulations/if you wanted to go on holiday and didn't have additional help. Saying that though there's a local cattery/rescue where I live that's run from their home and a purpose build space across the lane from it. It seems like a vocation tbh and the cattery seems to fund the rescue side of things. The impression is its a labour of love and very time/money consuming. So I'm not sure how financially viable it is as an actual business. None of the above probably helped much in regards to your actual question really! 😳 - On the plus side you've got plenty of time to find your niche (you really do!).

Flowerpot26 Thu 10-Oct-19 03:52:48

Thanks for your replies, I think with everything that's happened lately I'm so aware of how short life can be and I don't want to waste time not doing a job that I want even tho I'm not sure what that is, I feel like I should of got this all sorted by now but I've spent alot of time putting others first which I don't regret but it's left me where I am now, and jf u have another child which I want then thats more years to wait, things just get more complicated, I wish I had studied nursing or paramedic at uni and been something when I was 18,instead of sports I mean really what was I doing 🙄 although I really feel I need to step away from care work now sadly.
Thanks so much for helping me through my shift, I hope your night is good x

HUZZAH212 Thu 10-Oct-19 04:01:57

Tbh your initial post literally screamed paramedic at me, and if it wasn't that you said you feel the need to step away from a caring role right now, that's probably the job I'd have suggested with your background. There's nothing to say you couldn't revisit that area at 38 or 40 though. Plus lots of people embark on nursing degrees post 18 too.

BagpussandTheClangers Thu 10-Oct-19 12:47:20

I know you say not NHS but what about allied health professional; occupational therapist, speech and language therapist or physiotherapist?

You're not caring for people in the conventional sense but giving them skills, tactics and encouragement to help themselves.

Could try one of those out as an assistant without committing to training.

MatchaMuffin Thu 10-Oct-19 13:09:15

Re the timing, it's tempting to say wait until DC are in school, but it many ways it gets much harder to juggle then. Wraparound is a bit more limited and complicated than nursery, and although they can feed themselves, they take more emotional energy and there's reading, spellings, homework, after school activities. Work and study are much easier when DC can be cared for in nursery. I think this idea of keeping them home until they go to school and then launching a new career when they are 4 or 5 is tricky in reality. I've seen loads of people have that as a plan then actually ending up staying home until the children are 9, 10, 11. If you want to study, do consider doing it while your children are younger, because study can be very inflexible especially if you are doing clinical placements. You have a fab CV, you'll be great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »