Talk

Advanced search

If you are mostly happy working FT in London, what do you do?

(8 Posts)
Fancydaisy Wed 09-Oct-19 22:48:21

And how does it pan out with primary school aged children and childcare?

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Thu 10-Oct-19 22:39:10

Looks like no one is happy doing this!

EllaWt Sat 19-Oct-19 04:54:40

Hi ! I'm pretty happy working FT in London. I work in Finance . I try to be in work shortly after 7 and leave no later than 6. I make
Good money although nothing outrageous. I count myself lucky that this job is interesting and still allows me to have a life!

DH and I just found out we're expecting and I am dreading how this will pan out though!!

VashtaNerada Sat 19-Oct-19 05:41:41

FT primary teacher in London but used to work FT in the public sector. When I earned more money I paid for breakfast / after school clubs, now I’m earning a pittance I have DC at school with me. Always been happy, always loved working FT.

OlderthenYoungerNow Sat 19-Oct-19 05:58:13

Not school aged children but preschool. They are with a childminder 8 to 6. My husband works locally and does drop off and pick up mostly, although I work from home 2 days and 3 days in the office so I do pick up those days. I leave
At 6am,get back after bedtime at 7.30. Miss the kids but actually enjoy the commute mainly... Read the paper, drink a coffee, listen to a podcast or watch something on iplayer: 90 mins of me time!

MrsChuckBass Sat 19-Oct-19 06:13:16

I work full time as a nurse in London and I love it!
My DH is a SAHD so obviously things are a lot easier on the childcare front

Blibbyblobby Sat 19-Oct-19 23:49:41

FT in Finance (technology), work 8 to 10 hours a day in projects so I have a lot of autonomy and the work is varied.

But no DCs and a SAHH, so life is pretty easy to manage (sorry!)

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Sat 02-Nov-19 10:42:08

Civil servant. Drop 1yo and school-aged child to childminder at 8.30, she does both school runs, and I pick up at 5.30. I tend to log on to my laptop most evenings once they’re both in bed. Childminder has the toddler full-time 47 weeks of the year, I take my annual leave around her holiday dates, and she mostly also has my older child during the holidays, although he also spends a few days here or there with my mum, or at a playscheme.

It is a hard balance - like all of my colleagues (kids or not) I work well over my contracted 37 hours. But I do love my job, and while I’d prefer to have more time with my kids I appreciate I’m lucky insofar as my core working hours are 10am-12noon and 2-4pm, and beyond that I sort myself out and as long as the work is done nobody is too fussed exactly when or how long it took. The maternity pay was also fantastic, if that’s a consideration.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »