Talk

Advanced search

How to become a teaching Assistant?

(5 Posts)
chloedee123 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:57:42

Hi, I was wondering if any of you have made the transition into being a teaching Assistant with maybe not qualifications in education?

Ive always wanted to be a teacher ever since I was in school, (I'm 29 now) However, life took over,I found the man of my nightmares, got pregnant and worked in retail ever since. My Daughter is now 7 and I feel like its time now to really kick start the career I always dreamt of having. But I have no idea where to start. I have a few A/S level qualifications, apart from that I have nothing.

Any advice on where to start with all this from any one?

Thanks very much!!

AllGoodDogs Thu 10-Oct-19 22:55:46

I know a few friends who have done this. Most have done a part time college course alongside so many hours per week in voluntary placement.

The only TAs I know who don't have a formal qualification got the job many years ago. Now a days it's so competitive you'd be very unlikely to get a job without at least having begun a college course in it.

fedup21 Thu 10-Oct-19 22:59:35

I’m a teacher who interview for TA recruitment. Some have done a TA level 3 qualification , but many haven’t.

I would suggest volunteering in a local school and going from there. Look at local college courses if you are still keen to get a qualification and go from there.

Bigearringsbigsmile Thu 10-Oct-19 23:04:00

Definitely start off volunteering. You may find you absolutely hate it! It's not an easy job!
I volunteered for 3 full days a week. Studied for a level three qualification in supporting teaching and learning.
I already had a degree.

Start off by finding a voluntary role.

RaininSummer Thu 10-Oct-19 23:53:46

You can do an apprenticeship for Supporting Teaching and learning in schools. It doesn't matter how old you are. Look at local colleges and training providers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »