Talk

Advanced search

Help... Which job?!

(18 Posts)
Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 07:56:55

I have never been in the position of having two jobs on the table before.... I am stuck!!

Job A
-£30K Per Year
-Fast paced environment, high pressure
-Very friendly staff , everyone I met (4 potential colleagues) were so nice and I think i’ll get along well with them.
-Company sounds like they reward staff well with lots of perks, days out etc and occasional flexy day.
-Generalist admin role with potential for some progression but not alot.
-Long hours and longer commute then I have previously done.

Job B
-£33K Per Year
-Relaxed environment in a sector I have not worked before. Did not click immediately as well with interviewers.
-Prefer the actual role and it has elements of something I am wanting to pursue fully in the future and plan to study so could be my step in, room for growth at the company too as they are expanding.!
-Hours shorter and less commute however finishing at 5.30pm everyday with no flexibility which isn’t ideal for traffic...

I know I am being fussy but had a hard time with jobs lately and it’s knocked my confidence ALOT! I want to make the right choice smile

What would you do??

FreyaMountstuart Wed 09-Oct-19 08:24:49

I’d go for B

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:26:48

@freyamountatuart thats what my head says....

Loopytiles Wed 09-Oct-19 08:27:39

Job B.

A has long hours, commute, poor prospects and lower pay. The “perks” you mention often involve even more time at work.

Loopytiles Wed 09-Oct-19 08:28:33

“Fast paced” and “friendly” people usually means the company expect mega long hours IME

MustardScreams Wed 09-Oct-19 08:28:59

B definitely. The commute alone would swing it for me.

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:40:13

I think you are all right and what I’ve been thinking to be honest..... really hard to make sure I am making the right choice . Sometimes wish you could spend a real day there first haha grin

SamStephens Wed 09-Oct-19 08:44:12

Job B - a lot of the "perks" you get sold on aren't quite as they seem in reality some times. Also you might find it more rewarding in Job B working somewhere new role-wise and having the chance to progress, build new skills and advance your education. That sort of thing is gold, whereas just liking your colleagues and the "perks" can see you become complacent and stagnate professionally (all just in my own experience of course).

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 08:46:37

@SamStephens yes this is what happened with my last role which I left, lot’s of false promises and smoke and mirrors about how Great they were!

I think career wise job B is the right move and a step into where I want to be, couple or years and I can always request different hours etc... smile

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 09:45:33

Thanks everyone , My head was saying what you all are!

ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal Wed 09-Oct-19 10:24:10

Job B all day long. I've recently been in the same position and it is hard when both have good points. Once you've accepted one, you'll feel much less conflicted.

Congratulations!

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:00:37

@ToothlessIsMySpiritAnimal it’s a lucky position to he in isn’t it but a hard one all the same lol!

I will have to get some slowcooker recipes with less prep time if I’m back later haha!

user1474894224 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:10:17

Job B

If you don't have family committments to return to quicly join a gym close to work and do your workout while the traffic calms down. (Or other hobbey you enjoy).

quincejamplease Wed 09-Oct-19 11:24:43

B sounds like it's in your best long term interests and will give you the better quality of life. (And people being friendly to you at interview doesn't mean they won't be a nightmare to work with! Like you, at interview they're trying to make a good impression.)

B might have a slightly later finish, but A sounds like you'll quickly ending up spending your whole life at work anyway regardless of finish time - without career progression to compensate for it.

quincejamplease Wed 09-Oct-19 11:31:30

Oh, and I obviously don't know your journey, but I find leaving at 5.30 means horrible traffic, longer journey and arriving home more stressed whereas just waiting until 6 makes a huge difference and I end up with a journey as easy as if I'd left before 5.

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 11:55:52

Thanks all - I put the travel into my google maps today at half 5 and it said 20 minutes... not sure how true that is and may have been a good day!

In that case i’d be home a similar time to job A!

Secretbadlife Wed 09-Oct-19 17:45:26

The other thing is the people in job b won't necessarily always be working there. Plus sometimes when people are all nice at that stage aren't necessarily genuine and sometimes the people who you don't like at the start sometimes end up being your best mates! Just saying....

Cordial11 Wed 09-Oct-19 20:42:19

@Secretbadlife you are right... I think recent bad experiences were drawing me to nice people for a change and pleasant conversation but you are right ... until your there you never know smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »