Talk

Advanced search

Help me with a work wardrobe

(9 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

FrumpyFace Thu 03-Oct-19 11:36:15

I saw myself clearly yesterday. I am a mess and I don't know when I got like this.

My hair is a frizzy mess.

I am a bit chubby.

I keep wearing jeans and Primark long sleeved t-shirts to work. I look like an absolute scruff.

I used to make an effort and wear nice clothes, I don't know what happened to me or how to start to address it. I feel hopeless.

I was told to stop wearing heels a couple of years ago because I have to wear insoles and I've just gotten more and more sloppy ever since. I look ridiculous in a pencil skirt and flat shoes, for example, so those had to go.

I'm late 20s and work in financial services, so I have no idea how I've managed to get away with this for so long, but things need to change.

LaPufalina Thu 03-Oct-19 11:47:52

Worth posting on the style and beauty board to ask those knowledgeable posters!
Do you follow any style bloggers on Instagram?

LilyMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-Oct-19 12:03:44

We're just moving this over to style and beauty for the OP. flowers

PurpleDaisies Thu 03-Oct-19 12:06:42

I don’t think I’ve got any wisdom, but I come in solidarity! I looked in the mirror this morning and thought “what a mess”. I’m on a sabbatical at the moment (well, technically I broke something so I can’t work yet) but I’d love to go back actually looking smart.

FrumpyFace Tue 08-Oct-19 12:33:22

I ended up ordering 2 style boxes after seeing adverts following me around blush I've is due on Friday and the other on Monday, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that there something good there.

FrumpyFace Fri 11-Oct-19 15:03:28

StritchFix arrived today. I'm disappointed, everything is baggy. Although the style cards are nice, I may so scouting for some of those clothes this weekend.

TipseyTorvey Fri 11-Oct-19 15:34:42

What kind of office is it in terms of style. Serious corporate or smart casual or trendy cool type? Are you more comfortable in trousers, skirts or dresses?

I think you need a basic smart 'uniform' perhaps slim trousers, colour silk or satin shirt and a well cut jacket. Then you get a number of these that can all be mixed and matched. I do this but in my current office with blue or black jeans. I'm sure my style is considered a bit dull but I always look business like, just not fashionable. Haven't really got the time or energy at the moment.

FrumpyFace Fri 11-Oct-19 16:39:52

TipseyTorvey

What kind of office is it in terms of style?

Actually pretty mixed. Half the people are in 3 piece suits and the rest are in day dresses etc. A couple of when wear what looks like a blanket. Hard to tell if that's the outfit or just a defence against the Aircon grin

I think you're right though, I need to start with the basics. I just feel resentful that I have to spend more money!

I used to wear all sorts and it was fine because heels always elevated my look, as corny as that sounds. I just feel like a frump these days stomping around in my brogues.

TipseyTorvey Fri 11-Oct-19 17:11:17

Can you wear slight heels in the form of ankle boots maybe? I know what you mean about heels just elevating the whole look a bit but some one inch smart boots might just crisp it up a bit. I think a tailored jacket would probably do a similar job?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »