Talk

Advanced search

Self employed cleaning

(5 Posts)
Ginqueen20 Tue 01-Oct-19 18:51:56

Is it a risk to accept a job offer of self employed cleaning if you are a single parent and will rely on this income?
Company offers regular hours and work but of course there is the small chance one day there wouldn’t be anything available potentially for some time.
I’m trying to get out of a bad job and this seems to be my only option right now as there are several in my area with an immediate start. I’m worried I’m making a mistake by accepting and risk being unemployed if it doesn’t work out. Any positive stories of encouragement?

BackforGood Tue 01-Oct-19 23:44:06

IME, good, reliable domestic (usually self employed) cleaners are rarely out of work and don't need to advertise even. Once established, then word of mouth recommendations keep you going.

So, if you do a good job and are reliable, I don't think it is any riskier being self employed as a cleaner than being employed.
Where you could lose out is if you were unfortunately injred or long term sick. When you are self employed, if you don't work, you don't earn, so you have to factor in enough income to tide you over a few days of sick leave and also the days you take off, as you won't have 'annual leave'.
I presume there is insurance you can opt to buy to cover longer periods off work if you were unfortunate enough to beak a leg or have a long term illness.

Ginqueen20 Wed 02-Oct-19 08:02:01

Thank you, it’s through a small local company that organise your cleans and insurance but it’s considered self employed, I have savings to fall back on for any time off etc but if the cleans aren’t regular enough I will struggle to pay my bills so I’m relying a lot on the fact this company actually get lots of customers

BackforGood Wed 02-Oct-19 22:31:50

Oh, right. That puts a slightly different angle on it then. Not sure how that works, so ignore me grin

Namechangeforthiscancershit Wed 02-Oct-19 22:33:51

Presumably you would earn a bit less going through the company. Is their local reputation good enough to make up for that?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »