Talk

Advanced search

Would you take a job with negative glassdoor reviews?

(6 Posts)
Lizzie523 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:38:10

I have just been offered a job at a company that has 50% negative reviews from previous employees. Their gripes include harassment & a sexist atmosphere and says the MD of the company is crazy.

The positive reviews come from people who previously did the job role I would be taking on.

At the interview the MD seemed tired and fairly uninspiring. The manager of my department was a woman with her head screwed on and I liked her. I have been in a toxic work atmosphere before and it was awful. I also suffer from anxiety which has been manageable lately.

That said, I was just rejected following another interview and don't have other work lined up though I am still searching. The job pays double what I was earning previously. Thoughts?

Chewbecca Mon 30-Sep-19 17:40:39

Depends partly on how big the company is. I work for a massive company and whilst there are (good) company wide policies, individual managers can create a toxic department and those are likely to be the folk posting. Doesn't make my team a bad environment to work in.

Ilikewinter Mon 30-Sep-19 17:44:01

I would take the job, worst case scenario is you dont like it and you choose to leave, best case is you really get on with your manager and colleagues and enjoy your job!

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Tue 01-Oct-19 12:45:39

You will always get some negative reviews, I think the trick is to see if there are also positive reviews on there.

I once worked somewhere where we were instructed to put positive reviews on glassdoor by the head of department. I took great delight in putting a fake review purporting to be from another department entirely saying that I'd heard in X department they'd been told to put positive reviews on to skew the data.

AudacityOfHope Tue 01-Oct-19 12:47:25

Well, if I was unemployed I would.

The Glassdoor reviews of my company are brutal, and true. But all teams and departments have a slightly different experience, and if your direct manager is a good person that will count for a lot.

Babyroobs Tue 01-Oct-19 20:29:08

It's not a leading cancer charity is it? Their glassdoors reviews are appalling - bullying, harassment, a danger to mental health etc?? Truly shocking for a company who you might expect to having a caring way of going about things !!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »