Talk

Advanced search

Working for the NHS

(12 Posts)
ConfusedAndStressed95 Mon 30-Sep-19 02:07:05

I'm thinking of applying to work for the NHS as a Band 3 worker but I'm worried about the christmas holidays. We've had a recent family bereavement and I need to be home with my mother to make sure she is ok over Christmas. I also know I'll need her support as Christmas will be difficult for me as well. But I live in another city and I don't drive so I would need at least three days off, assuming two for traveling and I have no idea if that would be possible and I know beggars can't be choosers but I'm worried about my mothers mental health and if I'm not there she'd be alone.

crazyhairbear Mon 30-Sep-19 02:09:10

They usually ask if you have any pre booked holidays when you start a new job. You could say you have a week booked off around Christmas to visit family

ConfusedAndStressed95 Mon 30-Sep-19 02:34:00

@postercrazyhairbear, would I not need to provide some sort of proof? I suppose I could prebook my train tickets.

Countrylifeornot Mon 30-Sep-19 04:45:06

You probably wouldn't get a start date before Christmas now anyway, what with DBS checks etc, so go for it!

Hederex Mon 30-Sep-19 05:17:04

Just go for it and cross that bridge when you come to it.
When I started my NHS job I had a holiday planned. I just gave the dates, no tickets etc. And you are not lying...it is a trip you have scheduled.

BalloonDinosaur Mon 30-Sep-19 16:27:48

When I started working for the NHS in 2008, we were asked if we'd rather work Christmas or New Year. But if you tell them you have holiday booked then they should honour that, I'm not aware of them asking for proof.

I've worked 9 out of 11 Christmases, I had last year off but only because I was at the top of the list for annual leave. By the time my son is 5 I will only have spent 1 Christmas with him. But then, while he's so young, it's easy to just do it on another day

Ffsnosexallowed Mon 30-Sep-19 16:30:55

We would normally honour pre booked holidays, no proof needed. What's the job? If it's not clinical then chances are you'd get your 3 days off. (I always take the whole 2 weeks off over Xmas and New year)

BalloonDinosaur Mon 30-Sep-19 19:44:14

@Ffsnosexallowed I'm not clinical, but we are a 24/7 service

Disfordarkchocolate Mon 30-Sep-19 19:51:10

Don't worry, just let them know you have pre-booked a holiday if you get offered the role. There's also a fair chance you wouldn't start before Christmas depending on how long DBS checks and references take. In my NHS jobs, Christmas and New Year holidays have either been worked out as a team with the manager making sure someone doesn't always get Christmas off or we have had a working one have the other off arrangement.

Good luck.

ConfusedAndStressed95 Tue 01-Oct-19 03:10:34

@Ffsnosexallowed, I'm not sure yet. There are a couple of roles I'm interested in but I'm not sure which ones I'm qualified for tbh.

Landlubber2019 Tue 01-Oct-19 03:21:09

I work in the nhs, our Christmas Rota is pretty much finalised already. It's only me left to work out my Christmas leave, which i expect to have to agree today x

Good luck, I am band 3 and love my job / team

ConfusedAndStressed95 Tue 01-Oct-19 03:36:27

@Landlubber2019 thats awesome to hear I'm used to only hearing bad things about working for the NHS. The way I see it though is it's a steady income in a respected area.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »