Talk

Advanced search

Should I quit?

(16 Posts)
LorPips998 Sun 29-Sep-19 19:39:09

Hi all
I'm 46, have just downsized property and I now have no mortgage and quite a bit of savings.

I've worked since the age of 19 with no break for kids or travel etc. I'm so very tired, bored and fed up in my job. I've worked in my current job for 22 years and my boss is often a complete dick.

I want to quit my job, take some time out and look for a new job in a couple of years. But my issue is that I work for a good company and have a very good salary that I might never get again. I don't want a break because I don't want to work at the same company because I've been there so long. I need some excitement!! I see my future doing the same thing in 10 years.

What do I do.... stay and continue to be bored but paid well or leave and see where the wind takes me!?? Help... what would you do?

Kerry197878 Sun 29-Sep-19 19:49:16

What's the point in being paid well if your not enjoying your life .: you have paid your mortgage off and have enough to get bit and take some time out and enjoy life ... if you have worked since the age of 19 you would have built up some skills and experience in what you do so will easily get another job ... and to top it you say your mangers a dick.. maybe be give yourself a date to leave so you can save enough money to not worry for a while x

Enjoy life .. people are taking there last breath right now .. (morbid I know ) but true x

LorPips998 Mon 30-Sep-19 06:28:22

You might be the only reply I have received so far but that was probably the best answer. Thanks so much. X

Oblomov19 Mon 30-Sep-19 06:38:53

Apply for another job now. Maybe 4 days?
Do it, Whilst still in employment. Then try to get the start date as late as possible. This could mean you'd get at least 3 weeks if not a whole month off? A months holiday spent travelling? Whilst still maintaining continuous employment?

bluebury Mon 30-Sep-19 06:44:20

There is no point being unhappy but also not wanting to regret the decision.

How about asking for a sabbatical?

Take a year out unpaid, see how you feel after the break.

LoreleiRock Mon 30-Sep-19 06:44:39

Take those years off. Life is too short to be so bored.

dontdoxmeeither Mon 30-Sep-19 06:58:30

I was going to suggest a sabbatical also, is that an option?

I was lucky enough to be able to give up work earlier this year (I'm almost 50 for context). I can't tell you how liberating it has been and had completely underestimated how mentally exhausting my job actually was. Husband has been unable to work due to disability and we still have a (comparatively) low mortgage to pay. So we decided to take a chance and do property development and I bloody love it! Bar some kitchen disasters we've doing well on our first one and it's nearly ready to sell.

If it doesn't work out I know I'll have to get a job but even this "break" will have been sooo good mentally.

Good luck with what you decide but I would definitely give it up while you have the chance. After DH had his accident rendering him disabled, it really hit home how valuable this life is and that things can change in a second. Health is so important so if you have things you'd like to do or see then do it now thanks

LorPips998 Mon 30-Sep-19 17:47:32

Thank you all for your kind words and help. It's really scary for me but I think I will take the jump and go for it.

I don't want a sabbatical because I also want a change as well as a break. Going for it makes me feel excited because I don't know what my life holds but the success of that is in my own hands!!

Good luck and and thank you! X

KatherineJaneway Mon 30-Sep-19 17:49:26

I'd go for a career break but good luck to you flowers

MrsMaiselsMuff Mon 30-Sep-19 18:10:19

I've had two friends die in their early fifties. Obviously I hope that won't be the case for you, but it's taught me that life is too short to stay in a miserable job.

LorPips998 Mon 30-Sep-19 18:24:34

You are so right. But the bad thing is quite a few of you are saying "life is short" so it must be true and it must be something to really consider! X

NoProblem123 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:28:36

Can you ask for a year sabbatical? Go travelling or something - 12 long months to do exactly what you please.

I’m beyond jealous 🤢 <massive envy

BritInUS1 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:34:19

I would definitely take some time out, travel, enjoy yourself, then reassess what you actually want to do

newreality1 Wed 02-Oct-19 23:51:00

Take the time out. Life is too short to work for a boss who is often a complete dick.

You have no mortgage, you have savings and plenty of work experience for another job. You are in a good position to make changes to your life that will make you happier and more fulfilled.

Wishing you lots of luck with whatever you decide.

edwardcullensotherwoman Thu 03-Oct-19 00:01:19

In your position I would be handing in my notice tomorrow! Take some time to have a break, have a think about what you'd love to do and go for it smile Good luck!

LorPips998 Thu 03-Oct-19 09:33:05

Thank you all! You have given me the confidence to be brave and go for it!!!!! Thank you x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »