Talk

Advanced search

If you left social work, what do you do now?

(11 Posts)
HRH2020 Thu 05-Sep-19 05:48:36

I retrained as a social worker and have been with a local authority for three years now.

I'm finding it emotionally exhausting as I have two children at home with additional needs so I feel like I never leave work...

I have applied for less stressful work in a charity and also education support but always come second to the successful candidate.

If you left social work what do you do now ? Or what would you do if you left?

Lighteninginabottle27 Thu 05-Sep-19 06:15:19

I moved to adult services from childrens. It's been a breath of fresh air and I'm so happy. I applied for a pharmacist job at one point I was just desperate to get out.

Lighteninginabottle27 Thu 05-Sep-19 06:17:09

I moved to adult services from childrens. It's been a breath of fresh air and I'm so happy. I applied for a boots trainee pharmacist job at one point I was just desperate to get out.

HRH2020 Thu 05-Sep-19 06:43:41

Oh that's interesting, is it less stressful or just stressful in a different way?

DeborahAnnabelToo Thu 05-Sep-19 07:08:49

I work for a charity and there's few ex-social workers. We all just have the title "project worker" but there's a lot of skills used which professions like SW or OTs have. (I'm an OT who couldn't hack the NHS ☹). I have little to no stress in my job. It's not paid particularly well though and there's not much chance for progression although that's not something I'm bothered about.

Lighteninginabottle27 Thu 05-Sep-19 19:59:32

I would say less stressful full stop. There is a nice culture in my team which is supportive. Generally people want to work with you so that helps. I find finance a nightmare and calculating package costs etc but I'd give it over attending child protection conference and preparing related reports any day. 😊

RidgedPerfection Fri 06-Sep-19 20:44:57

I have never been a social worker, but there are police staff jobs in offender management, harm assessment units etc that are regular office hours that could suit.

Coffeshopgirl Sun 08-Sep-19 15:04:20

I work in adult services, people with complex disabilities. I need to move jobs, away from social work altogether.
Am seriously looking into running my own posh coffee and cake van.

HRH2020 Sun 08-Sep-19 16:17:18

@Coffeshopgirl that sounds blissful, much more the kind of pace I'd be happy with! Good luck

Coffeshopgirl Mon 09-Sep-19 01:21:42

Ah thank you HRH2020!

Good luck to you too, can you ask for feedback from your interviews?

EmmaGrundyForPM Mon 09-Sep-19 01:41:23

I'm a social worker. I've never done CP work but I know it's very stressful.

I work with older people. i love it. It is hard work, but rewarding.

I've also worked for charities whn the DC were small as they were more family friendly/flexible.

Try transferring to an Older People team or adults with disabilities. One of my best friends is a social worker in a team fo adults with a learning disability and sh has a reall good team around her.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »