Talk

Advanced search

I would love to work in a hospital...

(43 Posts)
BoredMouse Wed 04-Sep-19 21:42:15

...but I can't find a job that would at least pay 26k. I would nurse or work in admin, or anything really. I just really like the atmosphere. Any suggestions?? I'm 53

SnuggyBuggy Thu 05-Sep-19 07:16:10

NHS admin isn't the best paid. It depends what experience you have as to whether you'd start at a supervisory/manager level really.

In my experience it can be a lot of stress for the money. I'd recommend doing all the sleuthing you can as to what any department is really like. I definitely wouldn't have taken my last job in hindsight.

PotteringAlong Thu 05-Sep-19 07:17:54

Are you a nurse?

bluebluezoo Thu 05-Sep-19 07:20:24

Do you have any qualifications? Are you a registered nurse?

If not you are looking at entry level jobs. The nhs won’t pay 26k for admin staff.

If you have supervisory/management experience, you may be able to apply for roles higher up the scale. I’m assuming you don’t have clinical qualifications or you’d know about working in hospitals.

LittleLongDog Thu 05-Sep-19 07:21:16

Tricky.

If the money is a real sticking point then would part time work help? Part time in hospital and part time and something else that is better paid to make up the shortfall.

Very much depends on whether you can find both those jobs though!

BoredMouse Thu 05-Sep-19 07:29:25

N0, not a nurse but would train. I like helping people, and would enjoy maternity or similar. I am good with figures or numbers, excellent at Microsoft Office etc

Rapidmama Thu 05-Sep-19 07:31:24

26k you’d need a Band 5 admin post.

You aren’t likely to walk into one of those without significant experience. If you can swing it I’d go for a band 4 and then start looking at secondments pretty quickly

PotteringAlong Thu 05-Sep-19 07:31:37

Training as a nurse will mean you need to go to university for 3 years to get your nursing degree.

If you’re actually serious and it’s actually something you want to do then you need to think carefully about it - you need to apply for next sept so you will be 57 before you qualify.

sleepyhead Thu 05-Sep-19 07:32:34

£26k is about a third of the way up pay band 5 so even if you got a job at that level you wouldn't be earning 26k to start.

NHS job ads will give you the pay bands so you can see what sort if jobs are on offer at band 5 or 6 - you're likely to need considerable transferable skills from another area but I know of people who've gone in at 6 for e.g. from teaching into patient partnership/experience roles (had extremely strong communication, management skills).

EleanorReally Thu 05-Sep-19 07:32:51

do you have any qualifications?
can you go into the finance side of things?

are you sure you want to work for NHS? it is frustrating.

sleepyhead Thu 05-Sep-19 07:34:37

Ps, be aware that a lot of admin roles are in office blocks so you wouldn't be involved in the day to day bustle of the hospital if that's what interests you.

Littlechocola Thu 05-Sep-19 07:34:43

How about volunteering while working elsewhere?
What is it that you would like about that environment?

Ffsnosexallowed Thu 05-Sep-19 07:35:05

Unless you have project management experience, or public sector experience your not going to walk into a band 5 admin post. Your motivation re liking the atmosphere is a bit odd - most admin is very much behind the scenes and a v different atmosphere from the wards.

RHTawneyonabus Thu 05-Sep-19 07:37:02

You might like ward clerk type work. I did this straight out of uni and I loved it. That was 18k about 15 years ago. Surely wages would have gone up by now?

EleanorReally Thu 05-Sep-19 07:37:40

ward clerk is the lowest paid

sleepyhead Thu 05-Sep-19 07:40:43

Ward clerk is usually band 2 (17.6-19k)

Ellapaella Thu 05-Sep-19 07:40:51

Have you any experience in research? There are non clinical roles in research which go up to Band 5 such as clinical trials officer, but it would very much depend on your previous experience.

Boobiliboobiliboo Thu 05-Sep-19 07:41:47

Surely wages would have gone up by now?

😂

littlemeitslyn Thu 05-Sep-19 07:46:28

Joke right!

SnuggyBuggy Thu 05-Sep-19 07:47:06

Also 🤣

Egghead68 Thu 05-Sep-19 07:51:16

I think try volunteering in a hospital for a while to see if you like it.

I can’t think of any unqualified frontline roles that would pay the sort of salary you want though.

EleanorReally Thu 05-Sep-19 07:55:58

have you looked on NHS jobs website op?

CherryPavlova Thu 05-Sep-19 07:58:40

I think we’d need to know what you’ve done thus far and your skill set.There are lots of jobs in hospitals you wouldn’t know existed. Without knowing what you have to offer,as opposed to what you want, it’s impossible to say.

£26k is going to be a band 5 and most roles would require you to be a graduate or professionally qualified for that.

Have you spent much time in hospitals? What about volunteering in your free time?

Veterinari Thu 05-Sep-19 08:03:17

Your motivation is quite strange - nursing is very different to admin, the roles and responsibilities are varied and the working environments differ. Surely you should be considering what work you actually want to do rather than ‘anything’ in a hospital?

coffeeforone Thu 05-Sep-19 08:09:24

Sounds like you might like something like maternity support/healthcare assistant. This seems to be very hard work but is front line and rewarding. Are you able to drop your salary expectations though? I can't imagine they pay well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »