Talk

Advanced search

Changing jobs while pregnant. Can I still get statutory maternity pay?

(9 Posts)
Lalalalalala9284702 Wed 04-Sep-19 20:12:04

Hello mumsnetters, I started a new job about six months ago but it's not what I thought it would be and I'm looking to move to a new job.

However, I'm also about to start fertility treatment so wanted to check if you can still get statutory maternity pay if you start a new job while pregnant (or get pregnant just after you move)?

The info online about this is a bit confusing - you need to start 15 weeks before your due date and 26 weeks in...? I've been trying to calculate 15 weeks back from a potential due date which I think means you need to join a month before you get pregnant? All a bit confusing, so any advice would be really welcome!

I'm 40, so not keen on delaying trying for a baby. But on the other hand, I'm aware that if I stay in my current role, that would tie me in to the role for the next nine months and the next year during maternity leave - and possibly a few months after I return to work again... So in theory it's best to jump now... but I'm not sure if I'd get stat maternity pay if I switch jobs. I'd be a single mum by choice, so wouldn't be able to do it without unfortunately.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

dementedpixie Wed 04-Sep-19 21:10:05

No, you need to not be pregnant before starting a job to get Statutory Maternity Pay - by the time you are 25 weeks pregnant you need to have been working for 26 weeks.

You could claim Maternity Allowance if you dont qualify for SMP

Smiler88 Wed 04-Sep-19 21:15:51

A lot of workplaces wont give maternity pay either if you havent worked there for x amount of time which id worth bearing in mond/researching their policy.

dementedpixie Wed 04-Sep-19 21:25:01

That's only if they are offering enhanced pay. Statutory is as I said above

Lalalalalala9284702 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:25:54

Hello, thank you for getting back to me on this and sorry for taking a while to reply! That's helped to clarify it. So to get statutory maternity pay, you only have to have worked somewhere for a week, technically, in order to qualify for SMP. That gives me a few more options in terms of being able to wait until the end of the year in my current role and to start a new role in the new year and hopefully start trying shortly afterwards... Yes that doesn't feel a bit cheeky but it would be good to be safely in the position I'd like to return to before going off on maternity leave...

Lalalalalala9284702 Sun 08-Sep-19 12:26:59

I mean it does feel a bit cheeky... confused

Boobiliboobiliboo Sun 08-Sep-19 12:29:13

So to get statutory maternity pay, you only have to have worked somewhere for a week,

Not quite. You need to have been employed for a week before you got pregnant.

MrFartPants Sun 08-Sep-19 21:04:56

I like to think I treat my staff (even hate calling people staff) really well and as fair as I can but I'd be mightily pee'd off if a new starter left on maternity leave so early on. It's the sort of move that makes some employers think twice about employing women at a certain stage in their life, especially if it's a small company/family business.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sun 08-Sep-19 21:08:59

Well tough titties mrfartpants we have laws to protect pregnant employees from people like you!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »