Talk

Advanced search

Starting own business! Don’t know where to start

(3 Posts)
MumOf32018 Mon 02-Sep-19 12:08:36

So I’ve decided to start my own cleaning business but I have no idea where to start. Firstly I need a name. My name is Nicole Taylor so I was thinking Tailor Maid... I have checked and nothing the same in my area. What’s your opinions. I’m open to suggestions. Secondly what’s the going rate these days? Do I charge hourly or by the job. And then finally do I just start with basic cleaning or do I offer to include ironing. Initially I only want to do 3 days but if the business booms I will take on what I can get. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Marinetta Mon 02-Sep-19 17:17:51

I don't think its enough to just check the names of the companies near you, I think you'll have to check with company's house that there is no other company with the same name registered in the UK.
Regarding pricing you can call up the different agencies in the local area and pretend that you are a potential customer and ask what they would charge for various services. Also think on that you shouldn't just blindly charge the same or less as the competition. You need to sit down and calculate the costs you will incur by running the business and make sure that the amount you charge covers these costs and gives you enough to live on.

If you want to offer an ironing service you can but I would advise only doing so if you are a very good ironer. No one will pay you for ironing that is of the same quality that they could do themselves. Given that you only want to work 3 days per week you may find that you have enough cleaning jobs to keep you busy 3 days a week or it could be the opposite and you rely on the ironing to bring in extra income while the cleaning side is slow.

Aquamarine1029 Mon 02-Sep-19 17:23:33

The first thing/things you need to do is find out how much insurance is going to cost, how much you'll need in start-up funds, advertising strategies, etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »