Talk

Advanced search

Help with interview please. How much infor should I give?

(9 Posts)
Ouchmyheadhurts Mon 02-Sep-19 08:35:46

I have an interview for a FWH position. I desperately need WFH due to being a LP, no help with children (they are tween and teen) one is disabled so goes to private special school so has even more holidays then mainstream. I can not leave him at home on his own whilst I go to work (already done this and had to resign before summer due to this) if I WFH it’s part time so if one had to come home sick from school I could still work at home as they aren’t little kids. In the holidays mon to fri we don’t go out much due to disabled dc, he sits very happily on the computer and is not an issue. I know I could easily do this job whilst they are at home. I can do the job, but at the interview I’m sure they’ll ask why I want the job. How much information do I give them?? I don’t want them to think I’m a liability due to my situation and I feel not a liability as I’m a hard worker and just need someone to give me a chance.

What should I do?

Twickerhun Mon 02-Sep-19 08:37:51

If they ask why you want the job talk about the job and the company, try not to mention family too much.

Ouchmyheadhurts Mon 02-Sep-19 08:40:42

Ok they will know I have kids as cv says ‘returning to work after dc’ and I also had 2 years out as my son was out of mainstream education before we went into special ....

What about if they ask why I left my old job? I really want this job and don’t want to stuff it up.

ExpletiveDelighted Mon 02-Sep-19 08:42:44

I think you need to concentrate your answers on why you want to do that particular work and what you can bring to it rather than the WFH aspect. Also remember that every applicant will be asked the same question, it's a different scenario to requesting a change to WFH from an office-based job. You can always say that the idea of no commuting appeals, or that you work better in a quiet environment.

SD1978 Mon 02-Sep-19 08:44:24

I wouldn't mention much about the fact your children will be present and you the main carer whilst also working- id assume that they would view that negatively as there is a concern that you would be more focused on kids than work. They will be aware of you having kids, and I wouldnt if asked deny they would be home at times, but focus on what you can offer them, more than how it would make your life easier.

palahvah Mon 02-Sep-19 08:49:28

Why do you want the job?
What appeals to you about the work? What aspects do you think you would most enjoy/ be best at?
What do you like about the company?
How will you build relationships and trust with your colleagues as a remote worker?

These are questions to focus on.

Re your old job - how long were you there?

ExpletiveDelighted Mon 02-Sep-19 08:49:52

x-posted. Family reasons are a perfectly legitimate cause for a career break, regardless of your DC's SNs, anyone who has DCs that age and WAH will have them around a lot of the time in the holidays, they can't rule people out of a job because of their children, but they can expect you to commit to the hours/tasks stated regardless of your family commitments.

Ouchmyheadhurts Mon 02-Sep-19 08:50:16

If I read my cv, read someone had kids, with a WFH position, I would presume they would be at home on the holidays... I would’ve thought if they read it then they wouldn’t give me an interview if it was a problem? Then again they may not have read it.....

Very nervous, haven’t had an interview for so long. I have to meet them in a public place which I’m not looking forward to either.

Ouchmyheadhurts Mon 02-Sep-19 08:51:20

My old job originally 2.5 years, 2 years out then went back for 18 months..... so same employer....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »