Talk

Advanced search

Bookkeepers, please advise me re training and home based work

(4 Posts)
Adollop Thu 29-Aug-19 02:22:15

I've been considering studying bookkeeping for a few years and now my youngest has left home I've decided to make a go of it.

There seem to be a lot of courses. Can anyone recommend a good course studying at home?

Also where is the best place/what is the best way to then start looking for clients? I'd like to work from home.

Any other advice welcome!

Thanks.

wishywashywoowoo Fri 06-Sep-19 20:34:17

Just bumping this as I'm keen to know too smile

taxguru Sat 07-Sep-19 11:40:22

Have a look at local colleges for the AAT course - it's far more appropriate for people wanting to set up their own book-keeping business.

These days, "book-keeping" alone isn't really of interest to many businesses - they want someone who can do their payroll, VAT returns, CIS returns, etc. They won't want to pay someone to do basic book-keeping and then do all the other returns etc themselves.

Also, with software and modern cloud computing, there is less and less "pure" book-keeping to be done. Small business owners can now use apps to scan/photo their receipts which are automatically read and entered into computerised ledgers. Likewise they can raise and email an invoice from their phone and the customer can pay by clicking a link on the email - even my window cleaner does than now.

The AAT course is a lot more rounded and you'd get a lot more skills to make you more attractive to potential clients.

NoProblem123 Mon 09-Sep-19 18:33:11

AAT with the aim of becoming a MiP - member in practice

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »